Moonlights??*** 55 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am curious I have 55 Gal. Wet/Dry filter, 260watt Compact Lighting, 50lbs. live rock, 4in deep sand bed live sand with crushed coral and fine live sand. I have feather duster, bubble anemone, frog toadstool anemone, sun polyps, few other types of polyps gotta post more pix I heard about moonlights and if it is worth me placing them on my tank to stay on 24hr? If so how many. Is it worth it? Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86208900@N00/[/img]

I think they look totally awsome! its a neat way to light up your tank at night without intruding on your fishes natural behaviors.

From what I hear, Moonlights are created with LED's which use a rediculosly small amount of electricity, and last for many years. Most people just leave them on all of the time. (if anything, turning them off and on, off and on, shortens their life.)

I plan on getting moonlights for my tank and they will remain on 24/7.

the only complaint that some people have is that during the day, when the main lights are on, there may be a blue shadow ever so slightly visible in your sand from the lights. thats about it.

4-26moonlight.jpg

probibly about 4 evenly spaced across the length of your aquairum. I am considering the 24" Coralife Lunarlights. there are 2 lunar lights in the 24" model.

Guys in my reef club use these and love them
http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm

scroll down to you see the triple led.....

I would either get 2or 3 for a 55....
I would put one at either end and angle them pointing into the center. Should cover the tank very well.
If not then add the third....

We are going to ordering a bunch of these soon....
PS....... CHEAP this is a good thing
:lol:

I bought a double set from fish bowl innovations it consists of 2 moon lights with 5 leds angled to shine in a 120 degree spread. I was also able to add their moonlight controller with can be set for auto mod. It mimics the moon for an entire month before reseting to a full moon. I love it its wonderful. Total cost for everything about $80.

No, they mount in your light fixture. Some come with lunar led's. If you are going to add them I would check out www.thelebos.com. They have DIY sets and they are compatible with the lunar tracker. plus a couple of other cool ideas and info.

phishead said:
No, they mount in your light fixture. Some come with lunar led's. If you are going to add them I would check out www.thelebos.com. They have DIY sets and they are compatible with the lunar tracker. plus a couple of other cool ideas and info.

Wow, they have pretty good prices, just ordered a 3-light DIY for my 55-gallon hex, hope that's enough lights.

Cool! (y)

3 will be plenty. I have 4 on my 75 and it almost seems like 2 much.

When the lunar tracker is in full moon stage it seems bright!

I was going to start a topic on this when i got my pictures developed but I guess no need to wait. I thought they looked really nice so about a week ago i was looking at them at lfs and they wanted $25 for a single one. I drove a block up to the mall and went to Radio Shack. I got 4 leds for $4.29 each. 4 led holders ($1.69 for pack of 2). I old cell phone charger (free!!) *obviously make sure it the output matches the leds you buy*. 12volt switch (free!!,,had one left over from installing hide-a-way strobe lights in truck). Approx $20 total!!! I opened up the All-Glass Aquarium 48" dual tube and drilled 4 holes from the back side of the reflector. Ran the wires from the led to the switch mounted on the front of the case. Drilled a hole next to the stock power cord to run the cord from the old cell phone charger in. Took me an afternoon but the best part is the stock look. Nothing clamped on or sticking out. All running from one power supply. I will post the pics whenever I finally finish the roll of film.

These moon lights have no negative affects on any of the fish or coral?

Back
Top Bottom