moonlights and MH fixtures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I am getting siked since I have my MH 2x250/T5 retro mounted to my canopy. Looking forward to turning these babies on :)

Anyway, I currently use 2 CSL moonlights in my canopy and I am not sure how to mount them in with the MH fixture. Can I screw them to the reflector or will they get too hot under the MH?

I don't know how they will look being 11" or so off the water but I like the moonlight effect.

Anyone use these in a MH setup?

I thought it might be a bit hot but I have plastic fans in the canopy too. Not as close to the lights though :)

I am not sure what you mean by moving to the front facing back though. Maybe I can mount them to the door on the front of the canopy and angle them so they point downward? hmmm I don't know if the will look as good though ...

thanks

Here is a pic of my canopy. The lights will be mounted to the top.

Is there a place I could mount the moonlights and get a nice effect or should I just give up?

You can see the moonlights in there right now were mounted to a board that went across the tank. This will of course be removed. I basically took my previous canopy which was open and added a roof for the MH setup.

BTW, all is painted to match so it looks nicer now too :)

what if you used a 1" by 2" board and hook he moonlights to it then you could rest it on top of the tank right in the front angled a bit to the back of the tank ? then they well be closer to the water and far enough from the mh ?

Good idea! That might work. I knew I would have to keep it close to the edge to avoid shadows from the MH's.

Thanks for the input Scuba_steve.

heh...as far as how hot they get. I had some p/c lights mounted near mine (6 inches or so) and they melted the plastic connectors. Then there is the plastic supports on my tank that they melted...the plastic on my hood that they melted...need I go on? :roll: :wink:

Holy cow? How close to the water are your MH? I can't believe it melted the plastic supports. That is nuts.

they were about 6 inches off the struts...and they are only 175's...Im getting ready to install (3) 400's.

I will be running 2x250's and the bulbs should be a little over 8" off the water.

Good luck on the 400's :)

Back
Top Bottom