Moorish Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Truly a beautiful fish. My lfs has 4 of them. All of his eats anything he puts in the tank. They love bloodworms. I don't know what he does but he says he never has a problem with them eating. He used to do his own diving for fish when he first started, he said thats when he learned a lot about them.

Seeing how beautiful yours look in your tank makes me really want one. He would be a great Christmas present.

you really have to know what you're getting yourself into.

even tho my fish is eating im still kind of skeptical. I've started setting up a small tank that im going to cover from all light so that i can grow sponges in it to feed the idol a more natural diet.

even tho my fish is eating im still kind of skeptical. I've started setting up a small tank that im going to cover from all light so that i can grow sponges in it to feed the idol a more natural diet.

Seriously? You should be an inspiration and a model for people in this group. SOOOOO many posts about people just buying stuff without thinking things through, and then without the willingness or ability to do what needs to be done to support the animal they've purchased.

Way to go man, seriously. Keep the updates coming - I LOVE that fish and will have to enjoy it vicariously through you :)

Looking good ,,love it..Too bad the PT had to go though...Growing sponges is a great idea ,,i read awhile back on WWW some guy kept one alive for 4 years ...Good luck

Briliant!! That is a very fortunate idol.

I will pass on getting one, but please keep us updated on yours.

still great. waits at the front glass everyday when i get home from work and cant wait to be fed

im gonna make a video in the next few days

with the use of zeovit sponge power i can now successfully grow pineapple sponges in my sump and feed them to my moorish idol :)

he also hunts for them throughout the tank

Man I love these fish I had one in my 240 gallon for around 2 years and I was so upset when I woke up and she was dead.... But she lived longer then anyone said she would..... So I wish you all the luck with yours

since a lot of people online have been asking. heres a quick video i took of my moorish idol eating NLS pellets.

I feed my tank NLS twice a day and plankton every second day.

throughout the day he hunts pineapple sponges that i have been growing with the help of zeovit sponge power

Here is a link to someone that has had his since 2008 eating NLS pellets. With yours eating sponges and pellets yours should live a very long time.

That is a great thread. Glad to see others are successful with Moorish Idols. I've had one for some time now, about 9 months or so. He didn't know how to eat when I first got him and had to buy him live little neck clams from the fishermans market, open about 2 or 3 a day and feed him. I keep the clams on the sand bed and soon he started opening them himself. All the other fish saw him eating clams and before you know everyone in the tank wanted clams. It took him a while to start eating flakes, mostly he'd watch the other fish going nuts when the flakes were floating about and after about 3 months he tried it. He didn't like the flakes at first but within a few days started behaving like all the other fish. Finally a good LFS started importing frozen foods and so I started with some Marine Mix and added Artemia, and he loves it, so do all the other fish. Now I've added Krill, Red Plankton, Invert food and keep trying various frozen foods. He seems to like everything.

In the first couple of months I bought him a few blue sponges, that's all I was able to find, but he didn't seem interested in them at all. He nipped at them once or twice then never touched them again.

I still buy him live little neck clams and dump about 4-6 pounds in the tank for him to open and share with the other fish. But a word of advice about the clams though, it's best to place them in a quarantine tank for a few days and observe them. You'll find some open completely and die, throw those out and take a handful every couple of days and place them in the main tank for the fish to eat, those that don't open are fresh.

cheers

Wael

Back
Top Bottom