Moorish Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So today i brought home a moorish idol.

The LFS has had him quarantine for about 10 weeks now and he's eating NLS pellets. He looks healthy and chubby.

Brought him home, acclimated him for an hour, divided the tank with egg crate and put him in the right side alone. Purple tang and other tangs are in the left side.

now half an hour after putting him in. he's eating like a pig again

hopefully i will succeed. i really really love this fish

img_1679140_0_2efe110151f9559a85ceca9e0e3a5ef4.png

img_1679140_1_152339093e63467ff4197830b2b754e7.png

Gorgeous fish! Good luck with it.

Excellent addition. And great lfs, they really quarantine. That idol will live a long time.

Good luck with him - love the fish, but would never attempt it myself :)
Looking good so far!

Those are really awesome fish! I've never heard of anyone keeping one. Good luck with it!

Didja do much research before buying it?? It's one of those fish said to be better off in the ocean. They do not do well in home aquarium I've heard VERY often. 125g minimum tank recommended too. What do you have?
If it doesn't do well, will ya consider talking about it here so others might not make the same mistake? That's what this forum does, right? Attempt to educate.

Moorish Idol (Zanclus cornutus) Care from Exotic-Aquariums.com
Moorish Idol Profile
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Moorish Idol&

Didja do much research before buying it?? It's one of those fish said to be better off in the ocean. They do not do well in home aquarium I've heard VERY often. 125g minimum tank recommended too. What do you have?
If it doesn't do well, will ya consider talking about it here so others might not make the same mistake? That's what this forum does, right? Attempt to educate.

Moorish Idol (Zanclus cornutus) Care from Exotic-Aquariums.com
Moorish Idol Profile
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Moorish Idol&

yeah i've done about 5 months of research and i've taken every possible measure to provide this fish with the highest possible chance for survival.
its in a 180 gallon

Look forward to seeing how it goes - it looks like you've got everything set up as well as possible - good luck! More pics when you can too: I absolutely ADORE this fish (black and white heni was about as close as I ever came to attempting to keep one)

Awesome(y) ,,i have always been very tempted to try one ,,but don't think my aggressive set up is the right fit for one...Good luck and keep us updated on his progress

Is he always going to be in a divided tank, or is he in the full 180 now?

Good luck, I hear they might ban their collection soon.

i removed the divider and removed my purple tang.

everyone is getting along.

moorish idol happy as ever

Good luck. I've heard they're very hard to keep. Short life expectancy in captivity. Hopefully you have better results.

Truly a beautiful fish. My lfs has 4 of them. All of his eats anything he puts in the tank. They love bloodworms. I don't know what he does but he says he never has a problem with them eating. He used to do his own diving for fish when he first started, he said thats when he learned a lot about them.

Seeing how beautiful yours look in your tank makes me really want one. He would be a great Christmas present.

Back
Top Bottom