Moorish Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello. Just wondering how hard teh Moorish Ido to take care of. Any tips or suggestions? Does it do well with Clowns?

These beautiful fish are best left to large public aquariums or in the ocean. They simply do not live in captivity and no one is really sure why. I hope you have not already purchased this fish before doing some research. If so, let us know about your system, tank mates and water parameters so we can help you out. If you have not purchased this fish please don't. We need to keep the demand low to discourage coollection. Best of luck...Lando

They are a very beautiful fish. I had one I named Gill, I had it for a couple of months and it was doing awesome, from what I could tell. It ate all the time. I grew very close to it, and it died the other day. There was no sign of stress, it just died. Speaking from experience, I would not do it. It's not worth it to get attached to a fish that is very hard to keep alive. HTH! :wink:

PS. Dont learn the hard way, it truly was a hard lesson.

there are some theories that there is some sort of nutrient that is nessicary for the fishes survival which is not available in an artifical envirnment as small as an aquarium.

I have never heard of one surviving more than a couple of months.

A friend has on he's kept in a 150g for three years. It has grown enormously. The catch is he has about 400g worth of live rock/sand sump hooked to it in his basement. A total volume of about 550 gallons makes for good stability. It's all about water quality and stability. As you can imagine the water is perfect and sparkling clean.

Unless you have the space and gallons to dedicate to it don't even try a moorish idol.

Back
Top Bottom