Moorish Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
With all of the recent talk around here about these fish I thought I would share my experience. I have never actually seen one in real life until a couple of days ago. I was out at various LFS browsing and came across two of them at one store. All I can say is that I understand why people would want one of these. They are the most beautiful and graceful fish I think I have ever seen. truly a very impressive animal. I asked the owner of this store why they would ever consider selling a fish with such a poor track record. He told me that they were a special order for a customer who already had three in a multi-hundred gallon tank. He said the exsisting ones were over two years old and the owner was just adding to the school. Not sure if he was feeding me a line or not, but the success story makes me feel a bit better. In case you are wondering...$99 per Idol. Just thought I would share...Lando

Supposidly if the tank is large enough they will survive. They need lots of swimming space, with minimal rocks even. At least this is what ive read.

was it fish store right down the street form world of fish? i was there last night and they had the 2 there. they do look very good. and i cant think of the name. there are too many lfs around this area. and they all sound a like.

luntiz said:
I believe they also do well in schools. My LFS sell Idols for 35 bucks.
That seems very cheap. Are you sure they aren't Heni's ?

My idol was $81.00. That was with a discount too! My idol always looked fat, and his banner would grow everyday. He lost his banner about 4 times while I had him. It would grow to about 3xs his body length, then it would disappear, then he would grow it back. He always looked healthy, he was a the lfs for 2 months before I got him, then without warning he died. :wink:

Wow.. luckily I haven't seen any for sale around here. A flame angel is around $100 so I'd imagine they would be much more than that.

100% positive it was an Idol, in fact, I've been at numerous LFS and they are all aroung 35-45 dollars, depending on city.

It can be tough to get a MI to eat prepared foods but once you do get a MI on prepared foods than you need to feed them often (3 to 4 x's per day). They need a variety of foods in their diet including sponges, Also they are closely related to Surgeonfishes (Acanthruidae). They are sensative to changes in PH & Ammonia.
If someone has a MI that eats prepared foods then adding more to the group will be easier to get them eating prepared foods. And they can be kept in groups but from what I know that can change when they hit adult hood.

Kaye

I was just pricing Flame Angels here in the Minneapolis, MN area and they run from $80.00 to $100.00. Petco had the lowest price at $65.00. Not really a good price when you consider the fact that you will need to spend $80 on one once the one you got at Petco dies in a couple weeks. So I do not generally add them in when pricing fish.

all i know was i saw some in hawaii all over the place and it was soo awesome. they didnt really much swim in schools maybe 2 or 3 of them at most.

really they are 80-100 int he area. i was thinking like 50-80. did you try a wet pet yet? if you join the club they give you 10% off and world of fish i have a 20% off slip that if you want you can have becasue i will not be useing it. but i think it has to be use by like the end of this month.

There are two stores here that I know of that have had Moorish Idols- one has had them for $75 and the other for $100.
Six-Line, I think what you said about the rocks in the tank with Moorish Idols must be right- we had one in the store in one of the 300 gal tanks, and as we added LR it became increasingly stressed and I found it's lifeless body a few weeks ago. It had a lovely banner- the longest I'd seen yet. I was so disappointed. The asst mgr wouldn't listen when I told him there was too much LR- the tank was only meant for LR but for some reason the owner put some of the nicest fish in that tank and they never laste long. We also lost two beautiful jackknife fish.

Was the Asst. Mgr adding uncured LR to the rock tank, if so thats what happened to the fish.

Kaye

frshwaterfinatc said:
...the tank was only meant for LR but for some reason the owner put some of the nicest fish in that tank and they never laste long. We also lost two beautiful jackknife fish.

OMG, same w/ my LFS. They stock the 50 gallon LR curing tank w/ a bunch of tangs...Yellow tang, Naso tang, Achilles tang, Sohal tang, you name it.

That's insane.. what's wrong with these people!

Boy this thread is jumping around, but back to the flames. WarOaks, here is the run down fromlast week...Sea Dreams $90, A Wet Pet $80, Wet World $100, A World of Fish $80, and SOmething Fishy $80. These prices seem to jump around a lot.

Back
Top Bottom