Moorish Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtisle506

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was thinking of trying a specimen from hawaii, possibly a small one to add to my aquarium. Everything in my tank has been doing well for the past month lately and when i get off these **** crutches im gonna make a bold move, either im going for the Idol or a blue throat trigger. Im looking for that show piece fish besides my tang. What do you guys think, i know this fish is a tough one but im up for the task. Ive heard if tou get them eating they thrive.....if you can get them to eat. Some ppl have had them and most ppl started them on spectrum marine formula which is what i feed my tank daily. I will then hopefully progress to nori and brine mysis etc... Anyway what do you guys think? Has anyone have knowledge of keeping this fish or has anyone kept one for a long period of time?

Idols are very hard to get acclimated to a captive tank and very hard to get them eating. I went through a few before I finally got one to eat and when i moved him to my DT he went off prepared food again but luckily I got him to eat again after a week and a half

I'd go with the blue throat. I have a male in my reef and he's great! He's fine with my chevron and my smaller fish. The only thing is my fox face hates him. No clue why but he constantly gets chased and stabbed. But he doesn't harm my cleaner shrimp or any of my corals. And he eats everything. I'd love an idol but I'd be too upset if he didn't eat and he died. Every time I see them in stores they are ways getting picked on by other fish as well.

I have a blue throat trigger and he gets along well in my reef. I cannot recommend the Idol, even though my avatar picture is one of them. A difficult fish to keep alive even in a big system.

Back
Top Bottom