Moorish Idol at my LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

X the Outsider

Aquarium Advice Freak
I couldn't believe it. I was looking around today at my LFS, and that's what I came across. I was so disappointed to see that fish in there. I wanted to confront them, and ask why. I just turned, and walked out.

That was the first time I've actually seen a Moorish Idol, and it was a great looking fish. I was actually surprised when it seemed to be watching me as well when I first saw it. I felt so sorry for it.

Why didn't you? I can tell you what they would have said. Well customers want them so what do you do? I say have standards, that's when I tell my LRS.

I know what your saying some days you feel like arguing and some you don't. I hate it too. I mean I really hate it. I'm guilty of having things I shouldn't. I have a clam and it's doing great. I didn't buy it, it was a gift. I should have told my friend thank you for spending that kind of money on me for a gift but I need to take it back. I didn't, I don't have enough light for him I know this. I am in the process of upgrading I sure hope he can hold out until then. He's at the top right now and I watch him like a hawk. I keep thinking ok I know he's not going to be alive tomorrow. I've had him for 4 weeks now, please let him hang on for a couple more months then he'll have all the light he could ever want. I stress over everything I mean everything I put in there. My friend could tell I was a little taken back by the clam it hurt her feelings. I explained why I hadn't purchased one yet, she said well the guy said they were tank raised and that makes them different than wild caught. I didn't argue I said thank you. If only she knew she just cost me thousand of dollars to upgrade my tank. I would have done it anyway now I'm just in a hurry to do it.

Instead of being side tracked as you can see above what I meant to say is I have confronted my LRS before and that's the answer they gave me. Well people want them so what do you do? Then on the other hand he's very good about telling me what I can't have in my tank.

This is very sad. I'm also very disappointed to hear about it. I asked for a captive bred anemone at my lfs a week or so ago and the owner said, "There aren't any, they're all caught." So I didn't buy one.

That's just a sad scenario. Do you all feel guilty about taking fish out of the wild? I know I do.. Ultimately, it's up to us to make the difference. If we don't buy animals that die in captivity, or were captured wild, then they will no longer be sold. I for one, would rather pay more for a captive bred fish than a wild one. I hope others are with me.....

I've been doing a lot of reading and I've read you should not buy fish that are hard to keep, that die in captivity, or wild-caught anemones because taking too many from the reef system depleats their numbers and they don't replenish quickly, which leaves anemone-dependant fish and inverts alone. I read you can get captive-bred anemones, but haven't found one yet.

I read about each fish I buy before making a purchase and will only buy those fish that I won't kill (with my inexperience) or that just shouldn't be kept in captivity.

I, for one, am with you on this and I feel very strongly about it. I'm an animal lover from the heart.

A list of those "don't buy" fish and inverts on this site might be a great idea for quick reference.

My LFS stocks them on a regular basis and I have made the huge mistake of buying one thinking that I could lo the impossible. I guess some time or another some of us think we have a magic system. It ate nori and brine but died 10 days after I bought him of ich. Big Mistake!

Sdellin, Kudos to you. I totally agree with what you are saying. I'm sure as technology advances more saltwater creatures such as anenomes will be tank raised; at least we can hope. I always feel guilty about buying a fish that I know was swimming in the ocean at one point. Thus I feel it imperative to ensure they get the best possible care.

As for a "do not buy" fish list, add cleaner wrasses to that. Quarryshark or Reefrunner, can you guys add a list like this? In the meantime I'd highly suggest visiting this website which lists "do not keep" fish:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

Thanks!

- Jeff

sdellin said:
I've been doing a lot of reading and I've read you should not buy fish that are hard to keep, that die in captivity, or wild-caught anemones because taking too many from the reef system depleats their numbers and they don't replenish quickly, which leaves anemone-dependant fish and inverts alone. I read you can get captive-bred anemones, but haven't found one yet.

I read about each fish I buy before making a purchase and will only buy those fish that I won't kill (with my inexperience) or that just shouldn't be kept in captivity.

I, for one, am with you on this and I feel very strongly about it. I'm an animal lover from the heart.

A list of those "don't buy" fish and inverts on this site might be a great idea for quick reference.

I'm with you I like the list. I always buy tank raised fish. Even my clown was tank raised. I can't stand the thought of taking something from the wild. I feel guilty enough just watching them in the tanks. I'm going to check out the list. One thing that keeps me in check is I'm to scared of buying a fish that dies easily because I'm scared it going to die and pollute my tank.

It ate nori and brine but died 10 days after I bought him of ich
such a shame...if you got him to eat, you had done the impossible. Every fish that I was unable to keep, died because of its refusal to eat. Ick on the other hand is curable :( just sounds like you didnt have enough time

The last time I was in my LFS, a customer was bringing back a Moorish Idol that he claimed to have for over a year. He said his triggers were starting to pick on it and he didn't want it to die. The fish looked absolutely terrible...it looked skinny and it had no yellow in it whatsover, just white and a grayish black.

If he really had kept it for a year, that's pretty amazing but I wonder if he was telling the truth.

I do not see them too much around here. I have only seen three total in the last two years at a couple different LFS. However, I am sure there has been more. It is simple supply and demand. As long as hobbiests keep demanding these fish, LFS will keep sullying them. The only sucessful story I have heard about these fish was a guy that had special-ordered two into the LFS to add to his other three he had kept for a number of years. He had a 500gal tank and said he had luck feeding sponges and clams.

I won't even dare get one. Maybe one of these days when I get a 2000 gal aquarium... then I might consider them. Other than that... in the ocean they stay for me. :?

Back
Top Bottom