Moorish Idol+ diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Idol is doing as good as can be I guess. For those that didnt know. I have had my idol for about 2 1/2 months now. I got a case of ich in the main and had to qt all inhabitants, and treat with a copper based med. Cupramine. I had then in qt for 2 weeks and found out that my filter that came with the little hob had carbon in it. So I started the qt process all over. During the qt I lost one fish a yellow tang. :(
Anyway the fish have been in the 2nd qt for 4 weeks Wednesday, for a total of 6 weeks. I will keep them in another 2 weeks to be safe and then finally back into the main tank. There are no signs at all of ich anymore, and I have since been removing the copper from the qt. I know you ddint ask for all this, but I thought that it was important, just to show how hardy these fish can be, given the right circumstances. I know only time will tell, but as for now the idol has not quit eating one time!! It is a beautiful as ever, and has the best spirit out of all the fish. It eats out of my hand, and will nibble on my fingers. :wink:

revhtree said:
Too late, the fish is already purchased, so let's help out where we can, with the question that was originally asked. I have also heard of worse than a moorish idol in a 72g tank. :wink:
You said it yourself ignorance...so are you going to pass that along to the next person? Just to give them an answer they wan't to hear?

There is more to a healthy fish than just a good diet......Stress will be caused not just to the Idol but to the other fish as well if there are too many fish in a tank.

I think the best solution would be to re-think what the tank can handle as far as inhabitants.

You cant bring home a fish and then ask the question what does it eat and can I keep it in my tank. We all have a responsibility with our tanks. We are the guardians of these creatures.

I think about keeping idols, sharks, melon butterflies and dolphins but I know I can't so I don't. Having a fish a month and a half is a short period when these fish live for years in the wild.

I think about keeping idols, sharks, melon butterflies and dolphins but I know I can't so I don't

A Little over dramatic, dont you think?

I am not saying that ignorance is ok. What I am saying is that this particular person may have made a bad judgment call, and had not researched any at all. That gives us no reason to condone or condemn anyone for making a mistake. We need to help people and give them advice, not our biased badgering.

1neondottyback you are right in saying that we should be responsible, and we should, but lets not crucify someone for mistakes that they make. :wink:

Remember, this is Aquarium Advice.. not Aquarium What Were You Thinking?!!

The thing with idols seems to be less of a matter of getting them eating as it is with room. The only sucessfull stories ive heard of were in huge 300 gallon + tanks. It seems anything less they just don't last. Usually they will eat and act healthy then suddenly stop, and wither away. Kind of reminds me of rock beauty angels.

Back
Top Bottom