MOORISH IDOL SURVIVAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am fully aware of the poor survival rate of Moorish Idols in home aquariums. My LFS has one he wants me to take who is already eating mysis from him. He has had him two weeks and is eating.

Is there really an chance of survival with this fish down the road? What is the longest someone has had this fish in their tank? I don't want to get a fish I can't keep long term. But I know I can house the fish and give it a good enviroment, so it is probobly better off with me then a lot of people. I just want to know if and already feeding species has any chance?

I don't know if this will be any help to you but ... my LFS has had a Moorish Idol for almost three years (they got it from a guy who had it for not quite two years). It is doing great BUT they have it in an around 2000 gln. tank and have had over fifteen years of experience with harder to keep fish (which, by the way, they refuse to order or sell any of those fish - which I see as a really good thing).
I have never heard, personally, of anyone else ever keeping a Moorish Idol alive for more than a couple of months.

If the LFS is willing to give it to you then go for it. I would not, however, pay money for it.

The problem doesnt stem only from them not eating, but more in the fact that we have yet to figure out what it is that is lacking in the diet that we are able to feed them. Quite a few will eat what is offered, but then die anyway. There is something that they can get in nature that we, under normal circumstances, do not provide. I am sure when that mystery is solved, the success rate will increase.

Back
Top Bottom