More colors in my corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silent_FatPanda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 29 gallon reef tank has been up and running for about 5 months now. I haven't had that many issues due the very knowledgeable staff at my LFS. I have been noticing a steady decrease in the colors of my corals. I'm still fairly new to the hobby and want my tank to be as vibrant as possible. I haven't invested in any expensive species yet as I want to know what I'm doing first. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430404291.065165.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430404309.588802.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430404330.198076.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430404345.157175.jpg

Humanity is akin to the ocean, a few drops of dirty water will not cause it to loose its beauty.

Thanks for the timely response! Unfortunately I am at work and do not have my log been on me, I'll upload it later this afternoon.

Humanity is akin to the ocean, a few drops of dirty water will not cause it to loose its beauty.

The difference in light from where they came from could be your problem. If they are in a dimmer light then where they came from it could cause the zooxanthellae to be building up to get more light. This would make them look more brownish and noticeably less vibrant under actinic lights

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry for the delayed response, the test kit from my LFS measures ca, mg and kh
Mg-1600
Kh- meq/L 5.0 Dkh 14.0
Ca- 500 ppm
Like I said I'm still quite new to the hobby so I'm not entirely sure of the norms and if I should be testing for other stuff. My corals have been growing and all like in the tank seems to be happy. The damsels are little bastards, eating my goby, jerks. But the only thing I have noticed is a noticeable decrease in color.

What kind of lighting is needed?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430946781.529483.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430946798.252132.jpg
Here's what came with the setup

I thought that one of those lights was a blue light, should I switch to LED?

I'm not saying that, though I know I had to replace my coralife unit when I wasn't able to keep the coral I wanted under it and the unit would only fit coralife bulbs rather than opening the world up to the high end ones like ATI for example.
I didn't notice the one being coralife's actinic bulb, thought they were all 10K.
Either way, I would still point to the fact that the lighting is why your corals don't pop like you think they should. The coralife actinic bulb is a far reach from an ATI blue + for example. If yours is a unit that can fit standard T5HO bulbs I would replace them with a different color spectrum to reach what you are looking for, which would be one 10k bulb, two actinic, and one purple in the 4 bulb unit. If it is the same unit that I unluckily wasted my money on, you might want to research a different unit so you can meet your goals.

Do you have the coralife biocube? If so that's the problem. The stock lights are junk mine only supports low light corals. They make some nice retrofit kits though. But they cost about as much as it would be to buy a good light. I just left the stock lights and bought a light for my 44 gallon instead I keep mushrooms a Kenya tree coral and a toad stool in my biocube and leave the higher light corals for my 44g

I do have a 28 gal bio cube, I'll invest in some new lights to start I think. Is there anything in a chemical level that could be causing this?

I do have a 28 gal bio cube, I'll invest in some new lights to start I think. Is there anything in a chemical level that could be causing this?

It's the light. The only thing that keeps its color really nice are mushrooms. Rapid led, and Steve's LEDs has some nice retrofit kit but it's just as expensive to upgrade a biocube as it is to set up a larger aquarium

you can add the blue LED lunar bars all the empty spots that really makes the colors pop. you also need to make sure your light bulbs are being replaced every 8 to 10 months.

Back
Top Bottom