more corals... and a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike3epanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a cup coral and some zoanthids... i know theyre not the easiest to take care of but I think it will do well in my tank... I also bought a bottle of phytoplankton.. my question is, is there anything bad that could happen when feeding with phtyos? i have read about them and haven't seen anything negative about it... oh and i also bought 12 large hermits to help with diatoms all over my tank... they are big, im worried that it might hurt my coral when they accidentally bump into them.. TIA

bumping into them isnt the problem, it is when they start to eat them that there will be issues.

When you say "12 large hermits" I assume you are not talking about red leg or blue leg hermits? Depending on exactly what you got, you could be heading for some losses.

mike3epanda said:
my question is, is there anything bad that could happen when feeding with phtyos?

I use it some in my tank. The key is to underdose with phyto. If you add what they tell you to then your water quality will suffer. If they say to add daily then add every three days. This is what I do to maintain good water quality. I`m going to move this to the SW reef aquaria forum. This forum is for FOWLR tanks. Hope all goes well.

I also bought a bottle of phytoplankton.. my question is, is there anything bad that could happen when feeding with phtyos?
Phytoplankton is designed for filter feeders...which the above corals are not. I am not sure the addition of phyto will be needed if you do not have anything that will directly consume it. The addition of phyto can increase NO3 and PO4, depending on the type and amount used. Persoanlly...I would skip it.

this is the hermits that i bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230182200947&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=013

and for the phyto, I bought it just to help out the corals to be more colorful.

and this is the type that i bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260171687191&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016

next thing im saving up for is a good skimmer.. i really need a nice one because i do PWC like once a month (sorry, i know its bad), I'm thinking an ETSS skimmer but i cant find it on ebay

Back
Top Bottom