Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

More fish, and why petco makes me go "huh?"

OK, so...72 gallon tank, 2 firefish and a sleeper goby. Everyone is happy, healthy, doing good things and living fishily, just as they should be. Haven't added fish in about 2 weeks, and all the levels are good, yadda yadda yadda.

So, I stopped by petco today to pick up some food for my son's rabbit, and happened to have a conversation with the new manager - they had some new, unusual (for petco) salt water stuff in the back and I was curious about the change (a haitian anemone and some clarkii clowns, both unusual for that location). Didn't have any interest in the livestock per se, but chatted with the guy who is a self proclaimed saltwater reef enthusiast.

So we get to talking about my tank, whats in there, whats not in there, what I want to add and so forth. And the conversation, at some point, goes like this:
Me: I have 2 firefish and am thinking about a royal gramma
Him: Don't do that, they're super aggressive and will go after the firefish
Me: Really? I picked gramma over dottyback because I was under the impression they were peaceful
Him: No way man, grammas are at least as aggressive as dottybacks
Me: Well...ok...anyway I'm waiting on adding more fish until I get the hang of feeding my open brain
Him: Why would you feed an open brain? You dont need to do that

Now I always tend to prefer experience over a website with a paragraph from someone I have no knowledge of...however this guy's advice appears to go against everything I've read, seen etc. Reefkeepers had a huge thread about open brains and how they'll LIVe without being fed, but to thrive need regular (2x a week at least) feedings - especially the red, deeper water ones (like the one I have...liveaquaria confirms). Liveaquaria also reports that the royal gramma is a peaceful fish except against its own kind.

So my question is this....is petco man full of doodoo? Is he trying to turn his store's reputation around with bad advice, or am I reading too much online?

What do y'all think about a royal gramma with a couple of firefish?

caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

He's dumb and needs to be told that lol

Old 12-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick93 View Post
He's dumb and needs to be told that lol
That's kinda what I came away thinking as well. It's weird I mean...he wasn't pushing me to buy anything there (though I did end up buying some frozen mysis for the coral he told me I shouldn't need to feed)...the whole conversation was just so ODD!

I mean, look, everyone is an expert, we all know that...and there's lots of different theories about the right way to go about all of this...but it's rare that someone almost seems to be intentionally telling you the opposite of conventional wisdom.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Grammas can be aggressive. As can dottybacks. I had to return a dottyback that kept going after my sixline. Every fish is different though.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighabeeb

That's kinda what I came away thinking as well. It's weird I mean...he wasn't pushing me to buy anything there (though I did end up buying some frozen mysis for the coral he told me I shouldn't need to feed)...the whole conversation was just so ODD!

I mean, look, everyone is an expert, we all know that...and there's lots of different theories about the right way to go about all of this...but it's rare that someone almost seems to be intentionally telling you the opposite of conventional wisdom.
One time when I was getting some food for my geckos I saw a maroon, clarkii, and Occelaris clown in the same tank. I tried to tell the fish guy that they would probably fight before anyone bought them, but he said "since they're clownfish, they won't fight." He also tried to argue with "Nemo and Marlin didn't fight in Finding Nemo, did they?"
Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I talked to the saltwater "expert" yesterday and I was buying mg. He said what's that for? So they seem to have enough knowledge to get hired and that it.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. I was talking to someone at petsmart once and they didnt know what an arowana was............... lol.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenturtle

One time when I was getting some food for my geckos I saw a maroon, clarkii, and Occelaris clown in the same tank. I tried to tell the fish guy that they would probably fight before anyone bought them, but he said "since they're clownfish, they won't fight." He also tried to argue with "Nemo and Marlin didn't fight in Finding Nemo, did they?"
Ha WOW. Disney movie reference, that's what I want to hear lol. Well educated argument he's got going there haha.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

HAHAHA I hope you countered with the fact that there were also vegetarian sharks...not that I've watched the movie or anything....
Old 12-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10 View Post
HAHAHA I hope you countered with the fact that there were also vegetarian sharks...not that I've watched the movie or anything....
Fish are friends, not food.

Tags
petco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com