more invert questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flsprophet2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all once again I gotta say that is forum and the people are great the knowledge that is out there and the people that are willing to share the knowledge are awsome. I will soon post pictures of my tank so that everyone can see the progress that I make as my tank matures.

Well the ? that I have is this-- I am planning to make my tank a reef tank (I know that my lighting sucks but I will be moding my eclipse so that I can pump out more watts) but I currently own a royal urchin and was wondering if it will have any effects on my tank such as destroying polyps and such. also I am planning to buy an arrow crab and am wondering if he would be good for a reef tank. Also Is there any other inverts that anyone would recommend?

Thanks for all the help

thanks, those links help some. definitly gonna get an arrow crab, but it did not tell me much about the royal urchin concerning reefs. anyone else have any experiences with the urchin in a reef tank?

Royal Urchin is a reef safe urchin. They are excellent algae eaters. As you can see by the photo, they are collectors due to their sticky spines, often has litle rocks, etc stuck to them. These guys are not bulldozers like some urchins can be.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...een=PROD&Product_Code=L-URCHIN&Category_Code=

The only urchin I have is a hitchhiker and he's always been well behaved. He's not one of the short spined ones so it makes him a bit more clumbsy. He and will knock over smaller corals on his journey's. Just gotta keep the small ones glued down. :D

Just for kicks, I've attached a pic of mine.

My early and only experience with the arrow crab wasn't good. After 2 weeks in my tank, I came home one day and hes was munching on an electric blue hermit. OK, I think the hermit crab had dies and he was doing what he does.

The very next day, I see him munching on a cleaner shrimp. Maybe the shrimp had died too. But the crab had to go. Earlier that week, I did see him lunging for a shrimp or two.

Maybe he didn't kill them, but it was way too much of a coincidence for me.

Agree, Urchins are fine. I have 4 in my system and except for their bulldozing prowness, they are great. :)

For other inverts I highly reccomend a cleaner shrimp! Not only are they fun to watch and look at, they clean your fish of dead skin and parasites. It was a must have in my tank! I had some peppermint shrimp for a long time, but once they got big they caused problems for me. My buddy wanted they and now he wants them out of his tank, poor guys. A lot of people have success with them, but I personally have not. (and just in case someone was wondering, they were not camel shrimp)

i really want a cleaner shrimp but im scared my coral banded shrimp will eat it , i hav a 37 gal and my CBS ate the camel shrimp that i had , i want the skunk shrimp to clean the parasites off the fish

Back
Top Bottom