Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2003, 12:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Blow them off with a turkey baster, and do this as often as possible to keep them free of detritus.
did that yesterday

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 01:18 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Blow them off with a turkey baster
its funny but i think ive used a turkey baster for a hundred different things but never for basting a turkey

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:21 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

still no success with green star polyps. i havent updated my profile lately but nitrate levels have been at o.o for apx 2 wks. polyps havent opened (except for 5-6 literally) in three days. about a dozen opened after basting them but now basting has no effect. there is turf algae starting to grow on them and im pretty depressed.
ive been having some turf algae problems in general. could this be causing my problem.
turf algae? is this what its called? light green and definitely not hair algae. can sometimes get slimy looking with air bubbles trapped in it.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-15-2003, 06:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

after such a long time are these things dead?

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-18-2003, 02:25 AM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggiestyle
after such a long time are these things dead?
Not dead but most likely dormant unless there is necrosis. GSP will not really die but rather shrink in mass until it's gone. Almost as if consuming itself. Any amount of algae on them will keep them from opening. The type of algae may not allow the turkey baster to do much. Instead I would go purchase a new very soft bristle toothbrush and very gentley remove the algae on the GSP.

I would also move it to about midway in the tank and in a flow area that will gentely blow the top of the polyp area. You will not really know it's right until they open and you may need to move it every few days until you find the right spot. Don't be too quick to move it though, give it at least 2-3 days after each move.

When was the last water change? It could also be a trace element deficiencey.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-18-2003, 04:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks steve. i am using a trace element suppliment. i also do 5 gal water changes each week. did try tooth brush a few times and it didnt seem to help at all. i also have moved it down lower in the tank to apx 12" below the surface. ten or so of the small ones will open each day and they are very small. there are a few small feather worms on the rock and they open each day also. will try tooth brush again.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-18-2003, 05:11 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
there are a few small feather worms on the rock and they open each day also.
Are you refering to small dusters with soft tubes? If so, remove them from the coral. They are most likely part of the irritation that could be keeping them from opening up. These guys can sometimes reach plague proportions which can hamper coral health. Keep an eye on them.

Also keep removing the algae until it stops coming back. As long as there is algae on the coral it will continue to stay closed, even if partially. I would increase the water change to 10 gal weekly as well. It will correct issues with chem a little better provided the salt is also up to par. Ease off the trace element additions. They will fuel algaes as much as anything, especially iodine. Half the recommended dosage ½ as often.

As jks1 and others have said, it may just be a matter of finding the right spot. Water flow being at the top of the list....

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-19-2003, 12:34 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Are you refering to small dusters with soft tubes?
these things are very small when open they are less than the diameter of a pencil eraser (2mm) and when closed i am unable to detect them. also they likely number fewer than ten on a rock the size of a softball. also, with the slightest movement there gone. remove them?

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-19-2003, 01:45 AM   #19
steve-s

Quote:
remove them?
Nope. They are simple sedentary polychaetes and will not really bother the GSP. They will move around some but do not reproduce all that quickly.

Cheers
Seve
Old 12-21-2003, 01:15 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

WOW, readjusted water flow in tank and found about ten times as many open the following day. am going to add a power head and see what happens next. will keep posted

Peppermint Shrimp:

Tags
polyp, polyps, star, star polyp, star polyps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com