Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2003, 02:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

more problems with green star polyps

my green star polyps have ceased opening. it has been two days now. there are some diatoms all over them. my water flow is moderate apx 400-600 gph flowing throughout the tank. if you check my tank stats youll see that the water quality is very good. any help would be great.

im all ears

thanks doug

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
you say alkalinity is high....what is high?

Old 12-10-2003, 02:20 PM   #3

Do you have any xenia? My polyps died slowly after I put my xenia into the tank.Chemial warfare I am sure!
Old 12-10-2003, 05:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
you say alkalinity is high....what is high?
apx 10.0 meq/l
Quote:
Do you have any xenia?
no xenia.
ive been observing this polyp covered rock at the lfs for three weeks +, and its looked very healthy.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:14 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
apx 10.0 meq/l
1) Why approximately?

2) 10 meq/L might do some interesting things to human skin

I uspect that is either DKH or you kit requires you to divide the number of drops of titration by 2.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

it is a red sea kit and it requires me to multiply the amt of titrant used by 4 and the amount of titrant i used was betwen .65 and .75 because i was not a hundred percent sure of when the color changed. oh wait..... i am such an idiot

the alkalinty level is 2.6 to 3.0. thats better

these directions are terrible.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-10-2003, 09:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have a 5" grn star polyp rock myself. I experimented with placement in my tank. I have 150W HQI MH on my 29. Started him low in the tank, then moved him to the middle, and finally he is halfway up under the lip of the skimmer output and he has opened up twice as big as before. Move it around and see! Good luck!
Old 12-10-2003, 09:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

hes about 8" below the surface with 130 w of 10k pc and ditto of actinic. same placement and lighting as at the lfs

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-10-2003, 09:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

how long could this go for til they die assuming that they havent died already?

they where huge for five days or so. i mean huge. the rock appeared to double in size it looked as if it was covered with hair. good size rock too. about the size of a softball or larger. with no space uncovered save the bottom. the rock had large holes throughit also and my royal dotty would swim thru them, so cool.

im really bummed.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-10-2003, 10:00 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
there are some diatoms all over them.
Blow them off with a turkey baster, and do this as often as possible to keep them free of detritus. They won't open as long as anything is "on" them.

Quote:
how long could this go for til they die assuming that they havent died already?
GSP's are extremely hardy -- as long as the current problem is resolved, I'm sure they'll bounce back.

Good luck!

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polyp, polyps, star, star polyp, star polyps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com