Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

more rock or filter?

I have a new salt water tank mainly using live rock and a AquaC Remora Pro with mag drive 3 skimmer for my filtering along with a Red Sea wave maker with 4 maxi jet 1200 power heads . I'm doing just fish maybe later a couple corals not a reef tank. Spoke to Michael at Live Rocks and he said for a 75 gallon tank he'd begin with 120lbs of rock add 40 pounds more after I got the first set up and ultimately have 160 pounds of live rock since I'm mainly using it for my filtration system. I've ordered 80 pounds which was $450.00 and will be here Friday. Another 80 pounds will be another $450.00 is there a better way to go that would be cheaper and give as good results? I'm looking for a tank with low maintainance and do not want to do a sump because of hardwood floors. What do you suggest for this kind of money do the rock or get some kind of filter and not add more rock. I'm new at salt water please advise

Old 01-18-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Sure, get 80 lbs of base rock and the 80 lbs of live rock will seed it with life. You would save big bucks.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can have the same results without buying 160 lbs of live rock. Get some base rock. There are some places online you can get base. I've read good things about Hirocks.com. Here's the link.

http://hirocks.com/

HTH
Old 01-18-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What is base rock and how long does it take to seed? So you recommend skip the regular filter?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, I would skip the filter. Unless you want it on the tank for extra flow or to hold some lr rubble. Base rock is just dead rock. You can get some base rock and set your lr on top. It will eventually all become live.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Base rock fromLR.com is just the leftovers after the good rock is picked out. It still has some coralline coloring and critters. Base rock from others will be dry dead rock. Either way it will all be great LR with time.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
defenatly go with halve base rock. you should be able to buy some at the local hardware store for really cheep. dont waist your money. it will all become live in time.

Tags
filter, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com