More surprise refugium inhabitants - and apparently a loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I haven't added anything to my tank for probably almost 6 months (except PWC's of course!) But today I see what I believe are a whole herd of astrea snail babies. Dozens of them, all over my fuge. I'm pretty sure they're astreas, they have the ridges and everything else looks the same. I didn't think snails reproduced very well...

Plus - I noticed, what I swear are brine shrimp. Lots of them. I've never added live brine shrimp, and I even completely drained the fuge about 3 months ago. They're smaller than what you'd get frozen, but from what I can tell that's what they are.

I also managed to spot one of my very first tank inhabitants - a good-sized turbo snail. He comes out every ones inawhile, otherwise he hides during the day. He's almost 2" across now.

Sadly, I think I've lost my clown goby. The little guy has been with us for about 6 or 7 months - and I haven't been able to find him for two days.

They don't look like the copepods I've had in the fuge in the past... those spent most of their time crawling on the substrate - these are swimming around. I'm sure there are lots of different species though. I'm not going to bother trying to get a photo - they're too small, and keep darting in and out of my caulerpa forest.

Scoot said:
and keep darting in and out of my caulerpa forest.

This is what they are doing in my tank also but they are pods. Pods will also be in LR.

Aren't mysis and brine shrimp basically the same thing? Or family? Sea-Monkey family, that is ;)

(checked article) yeah, they look just like the mysid shrimp (everybody calls them mysis I think). The tails are much longer than what you see on cope- and amphipods. I've had plenty of those in the past.

According to that link, mysids and artemia are very similar, hence my sea-monkey guess ;)

It would also make sense that I have them, since I have a huge number of bristle worms in the fuge, and they thrive on the larvae.

My dragonet has to be loving them, as probably are most of the other fish.

Likely mysis shrimp.

I've never added live shrimp to my tank but I've seen mysis swimming around on multiple occassions.

It's my understanding that their eggs can be dried out, and when re-hydrated, they'll hatch. When I moved my sump, there could have been some eggs that dried out enough to cycle into hatching. Who knows.

Back
Top Bottom