Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Few months ago, I got this wild hair to do something drastic. So I took a lot of my live rock out and put it in my sump. I wanted to see more of my fish and figured open water might force them out.

Not good. Not good at all. It had the exact opposite effect that I was hoping for. The fish coward in corners and were extremely skiddish. When I approached the tank they collectively went nuts. I left it this way for about 4 days to see if they'd get used to it. Not so. I put the live rock back in the display tank and all of the anxious behavior ended. Point of my story is that piles of live rock give the fish the security they need to hang out in the open so that you can see them. I think defined territories are important in that each fish should have a spot that it can call home. Secure fish are happy fish IMHO.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

My tank is a 55. The fish still have the whole length of the tank to swim. The tang is about two inches and he spends most his time behind the rocks, swimming through them, and only swims in the open when he grazes on his leaf. The funny thing is, all the fish prefer only one side of the tank. And I tried re-arranging the tank several times, (same flow on each side of the tank), but they still all stay on one side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-392061265.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	139580  

Old 12-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
I have the same thing. My tank is a 180 gallon with two equal plies of rock and most of my fish spend 90% of their time on the left hand side. Only Blennys, Wrasses, Gobies and Inverts seam to like the right hand side. When it was FW the fish had no preference. The only real difference is my lighting ballast are two feet above the right hand side. If anyone has any ideas please let us know.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Haha My fish like the left side as well. Only the engineer goby stays on the right side. Lights, flow, everything is the same. The rocks used to be equal as well, and they would rarely venture to the right side.. So now there are less rocks there and more open space for swimming - They still avoid it like its the plague.

I also noticed that all the fish stay in the lower 50% of the tank. The top of the tank is rarely visited unless there is some food floating up there. Is that odd?

Today the tang seems to be out more in the open. (She still swims through the tunnels and rocks, but she is swimming in the open space a bit more). It is odd she spends so much time in the rocks, since she is THE only fish not bothered by the mean clown.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's so wierd. My tank is 6 feet. I recently added LED's. The tank is much brighter now. Closer to natural sunlight. One thing I have noticed is that the fish use all levels. They never spent much time middle to the top. Now they do and the only thing different is that the tank is evenly lit. No dark spots anywhere. Thought I'd mention.

Tags
hiding, swimming

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com