Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2005, 07:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
More terrible luck....what a surprise

Well my plague of bad luck with fish continues...... some of you may have read my post a few weeks back bout getting a vlamingi tang. Well I had in in a 25-30g rubbermaid contanter. I had a small whisper filter and a small marineland filter on the container. The biowheel was froma cycled tank and I had a sock of ceramiic rings that were in a cycled tank. Everything was great for 2 and half weeks. The fish was eating flakes soaked in vitamins and nori. I regularly test for amonia/nitrie and do water changes whenver amonia becomes visible. Well yesterday the fish wasn't interested in food so I tested the water and amonia was .1 or less and no visible nitrite so I figure I'll do a 7g water change anyway. BTW all the water is taken from my 110g tank. This morningI wake up to find the fish dead No visible signs of disease or parasites...... I"m so frustrated at this point I think I'm done buying fish. Within the past several weeks I"ve more problems with fish as well:

6 ilne wrasse in QT for 5 weeks. Eating acting normal, introduce tomy 110, saw him that night and never again.

Filamanted flasher wrasse, in QT for 5+ weeks, treated w/ nitrofurzone becasue of white fuzzy patch. Left him in QT anther 2 weeks to make sure he was ok. Introduced to my 110g ate and swam around great for 3 days, haven't seen him in 3 days now.

Female lyretail anthias in at for 2 weeks, eating vitamin packed mysis, dies for unknow reasons.

Fire clown and little Cross's damsel in QT for 5 weeks together. Figured they would be okay to acclimate in the same container to my 110g.....WRONG, fire clown killed and ate half the damsel in the 2 hours or so they were dripping.

All my corals and clams are doing great with the excetion of my 8x10" pacth of xenia that a falling powderhead pretty much destroyed and my stylophora that fell onto one of my gonioporas.

What am I doing wrong here???????

BTW everything in my 110 is doing great which includes
yellow tang
Blue devil damsel
Gold stripe maroon clown
Hector's goby
8 various clams
15 or so soft corals
30 or so hard corals

The fish have come from various pet stores so it's not likely I"m getting a bad supply of fish.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are you getting your fish from the same store, could be cyanide caught fish. If the other fish are doing great I would look into the fish purchases.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That sucks. I have had similar luck with fish too. I pretty much stick to corals these days. Everything is ok on those
Old 03-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
That sucks. I have had similar luck with fish too. I pretty much stick to corals these days. Everything is ok on those
That's what I plan on doing.....don't think I'll be buying another fish for a long long long long time......

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com