Morish Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uh.. other then dont.. No.. Their really really hard fish to keep, alot of professionals cant wing it, they perfer to be in schools i heard, and if damaged in anyway, during the transport they usually stop eating and slowly waste away
(( sorry cant help you, im sorta againsted keeping them))

My advice would be to not get one. They have a very poor survival rate in the home aquarium or even a public aquarium for that matter. :wink:

I am getting a moorish Idol, I have heard that it is a hard fish to have. Any advise?
You might as well walk into the LFS, give them $100 and leave without the fish. It will save you the trouble of taking it home, acclimenting it, and watching it die in your tank.
this is a fish that should NOT be available in the aquarium trade. As Rev mentioned, most public aquariums do not attempt to keep this fish, it is just too difficult. I know of one person who (the last I heard) had five. He has a 500gal tank with oever a half ton of LR and TONS of open swimming space. Not sure what he feeds. Bottom line...Don't waste your money. This fish will almost certainly die in your tank.

what about the "poor man's moorish idol"? I read that they are easier to keep? Any one have experience with those?

This is the heniochus bannerfish. Much easier to keep. Be careful, there is only species that is reef safe.

The original post is from early May. I do not think Bernardo is coming back. I am sure his fish has died by now.

no doubt its dead - why dont people research these animals before putting submitting them into a long tortorous death!

i had a moorish idol once. i placed him in my tank with a unicorn tang, clown fish, coral beauty, and a ribbon eel. Along with a dinner plate sized anemone. everyone said they cannot be kept alive, but i tried anyway, and i was successfull. Very successful. i started out with a polyp coral costing around 35 dollars, then he eventually switched to frozen brine shrimp and i assure you they can eat. Unfortunately i had to get rid of him and ended up selling him for 150$ as a moorish idol that eats.

Back
Top Bottom