Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2004, 06:31 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think less of you, and I have been tempted a time or two myself, (remind me to tell you sometime about my blue linckia) but you need to be prepared. This fish will not live for more than 6 months in your tank. The mortality rate is very high, and off the top of my head I can only think of one success story about these fish in captivity and that is at the waikiki aquarium in an open lagoonal reef display. There is something missing from this fishes diet in captivity, IMO, and I don't think we can provide it at this point in time. It is a beautiful fish, and I wish you all the best with it, but the odds are stacked highly against you. Just because a fish is considered for experts, does not mean you can't have some luck, but those fish are not safe simply cause they have lasted 5 weeks either. A fish that has a life span of 30-50 years in the ocean and lives for 2 years in an aquarium, is not a success.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
A fish that has a life span of 30-50 years in the ocean and lives for 2 years in an aquarium, is not a success.
Tru dat, Tru dat

mrmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:49 AM   #13

Yea I did some reading, even public aquariums have trouble keeping these. The only sucessful captive specimens are kept in "shark pools" where theres no obstructions. I think space is a serious thing with these guys and I hate to say it but after what I read yours is doomed. Eating means nothing, please keep us updated.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

In all honesty, when it's qt time is up, I would love to give him to somewhere where I know he would live. I love that fish!! It is my favorite. So what I am willing to do is find someone, maybe on here, that has a huge tank, and give him away. Trust me everyday I kick myself for getting him. I only want him to survive. Whatever means necessary, if that meens giving him away, I will. I will even drive half way to meet somebody pretty close, just to give him a better chance at life. My short hobby time has been so very stressful. All I do is worry, worry, worry. If you know somebody that has had sucess with the idol, and has a big tank, point then my direction. My email is revhammontreejr@comcast.net. Small, easy, fish only for me. I am going to work on having a nice reef tank. Thanks for listening to me. In all honesty I feel broken hearted. Thanks.

PS. I am not a wimp for having these emotions, I just care about the life of my fish.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:03 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

revhtree,
No one thinks you're a wimp...and yes, this hobby can be stressful. I've been broken-hearted over my fish many times. This moorish idol has a better chance with you than with the average person who walks into a lfs. It's admirable that you want to provide the best care for it, and you want it to have the best home. I hope for the best for you! Caring about the life of our fish -- it's the best thing about this site, the way it is here. No one can blame you for trying your best with this fish. I hope it all works out!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:51 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Tru dat, Tru dat
Sorry, way off topic.......what? In English.......? J/k

Good rev. I am glad you know enough to care.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:02 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally I think that if this fish has such a bad track record then it was doomed from the day it was caught, not the day you brought it home. So you shouldn't feel bad, if anything you're giving it a loving environment which is more than I can say for any LFS. I say keep your fish, care for him, love him, and what's gonna happen is gonna happen.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:49 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Personally I think that if this fish has such a bad track record then it was doomed from the day it was caught, not the day you brought it home. So you shouldn't feel bad, if anything you're giving it a loving environment which is more than I can say for any LFS. I say keep your fish, care for him, love him, and what's gonna happen is gonna happen
Agreed, and try some Spectrum foods. Fenner states some idols are doing well with this food, the designer of the food has many of them. See www.wetwebmedia.com for more information.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:01 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Rev, I think he is in excellent hands. IMO you already have him, keep him.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:10 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only thing that REALLY concerns me is the size of the tank. I would be leary about putting him in my 175, much less a 75. Good luck with him.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com