Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

PC lights may no longer be the fashion, but they are fine for that tank. I had an LTA under PC lights for 2 years and grew till it filled the corner of the tank (125 gal). That was under 192w (96w-10k, 96w-03 Actinic).
Actinic light (50k) is just as usable as 10K, just at a different spectrum and one that is important for coral growth.

T5HO with highly polished individual parabloic reflectors can put ~98% of the bulb output into the tank. A PC can probably do 80% at best. A T5 without the proper reflector will also only put ~80% of th elight output into the tank. Because T5's are thinner, you can use more bulbs in the same space, each putting 98% of the light into the tank. That's what makes them more efficient and a better choice.

So, how old are the PC bulbs? PC bulbs should be changed every 7 - 9 months. T5's can go a year to 18 months.

Ca that high is almost impossible without it precipitating out. I would start with taking a water sample to the lfs and asking for the complete run that Jimbo asked for. I would also ask for PO4 (phosphate).

If you don't have quality test kits for those at home, get them. If your test kits are more than a year old, get new ones. I would recommend Salifert for CA, Alk, Mg, NO3.

Are you using RODI water for PWC's and for filling the tank originally?

PLease do NOT get another anemone. Their lifespan in the wild is unknown (possibly 30+ years or much longer), and rarely do they last more than a few years in a tank environment. They also really need a larger tank if you are going to keep one.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
PC lights may no longer be the fashion, but they are fine for that tank. I had an LTA under PC lights for 2 years and grew till it filled the corner of the tank (125 gal). That was under 192w (96w-10k, 96w-03 Actinic).
Actinic light (50k) is just as usable as 10K, just at a different spectrum and one that is important for coral growth.

T5HO with highly polished individual parabloic reflectors can put ~98% of the bulb output into the tank. A PC can probably do 80% at best. A T5 without the proper reflector will also only put ~80% of th elight output into the tank. Because T5's are thinner, you can use more bulbs in the same space, each putting 98% of the light into the tank. That's what makes them more efficient and a better choice.

So, how old are the PC bulbs? PC bulbs should be changed every 7 - 9 months. T5's can go a year to 18 months.

Ca that high is almost impossible without it precipitating out. I would start with taking a water sample to the lfs and asking for the complete run that Jimbo asked for. I would also ask for PO4 (phosphate).

If you don't have quality test kits for those at home, get them. If your test kits are more than a year old, get new ones. I would recommend Salifert for CA, Alk, Mg, NO3.

Are you using RODI water for PWC's and for filling the tank originally?

PLease do NOT get another anemone. Their lifespan in the wild is unknown (possibly 30+ years or much longer), and rarely do they last more than a few years in a tank environment. They also really need a larger tank if you are going to keep one.

the bulbs are brand new and thank you that helps alot with explaining the lights

and dont worry i wont buy another one after talking to the people at the lfs we think we know what got the Ca so high the sea lab stones that i use (i forgot i used them) and after doing water changes (two 10% over four days) its down to 660ppm and going down so thats good.

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com