Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-09-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester

ok I am moving only like 3 blocks away I was wondering what would be the best thing to put my corals and live rock in for the move I was planing on just putting my fish in a bucket but what about my corals and any good suggestions on how to move would be great so it would take me the least amount of timeall my plumbing and wet/dry are under my tank in the stand thanks Jester

my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Invest in plenty of buckets or rubbermaid tubs. Dont fill the tubs up with water any more than half way. Place all the like corals in the same container so as casual contact wont cause a chemical war while your moving.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I am going to be moving mine soon as well. Last time I moved I put the corals,rock and fish/inverts in separate containers. I just wonder about my sand bed now. I figure I need to replace some of it and just re-use the top layer. I have about 3-4" of sand now.

I figure it will take a few trips to get it all
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Buckets, lots of them. Place the fish, corals and rocks into seperate buckets. You might want even more separation like having anemone and clown fish in their own buckets. Try not to fill buckets up too much because it will be heavy and when you are driving you wouldnt want water to splash out all over the place.

I'm not sure the amount of saltwater you are going to keep. When I did a swap I reused about 60% of the water. So have however many gallons of new saltwater ready at your new place. You might want to add an airstone into the buckets with the fish but it might raise the PH so becareful. Heater might be necessary also
Paintballs look like bubble gum
14G starphire,150W MH+32W act03,AquaClear 150 HOB filter, 75W EboJager, IceProbe chiller, Remora skimmer, closed loop SCWD mag5, auto toper-offer.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
For my 7th anniversary my wife has bought me a 175 Bowfront Tank. I am upgrading from a 60 gallon reef and will let you know how my move goes in the next couple of weeks. I already have hundreds of buckets, bins and tubs so I can only hope that I can get it all done.
Hook'em Horns!
MadManMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com