Moving 55g only inches (... literally)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just purchased 2 MP10's and just realized that 1 side of the tank is too close to the wall for it to fit. I literally need 1 more inch and the MP10 will fit.

I've also thought of just keeping a Koralia on the 1 side since it might be too much work for just a PH. Thoughts?

If you can empty the tank quite a bit you might be able to slide the whole tank and stand. BUT depending on your flooring and the equipment you have underneath a slide might not work.

If it were me, I would probably try to slide it, but I can be anal retentive. LOL

If you can't do the move I don't see why you couldnt use a koralia on the one side. You would loose the option to sync the two mp's though. :-( I have a single mp10 in my 60g and it works out just fine. I guess it's up to you and how much work you wanna put in to have the two mp's.

Good luck!

This will really depend on your flooring, but I couldn't slide my 56 gallon tank on my carpet flooring even when it was over 75% drained. I had to drain it completely and take it off the stand before I could move my stand over. But I have thick carpeting where the tank is. Maybe try to drain it enough that you can slide some of those "moving men" furniture sliders underneath it to help slide it. I used to keep them under my 30 gallon (on laminate flooring) so that I could move it a little if I needed to.

What if you used those furniture mover discs for Home Depot? You would only need to lift each corner half inch to,slide them under. Just a thought???

The furniture movers have been a thought, but I don't want to do too much shifting with the tank. I was thinking of maybe sliding 2 metal strips under the stand and slide it with a lift strap.

My carpet is thick, and so is the pad beneath it, so the tank has a good imprint as it is. Do you think placing all of the water in buckets (except enough to cover the 5" sand bed) will make it moveable?

Also, would 2 MP10s inches away from each other on the same side defeat the purpose for water movement? (basically redundant?)

uscamaro said:
The furniture movers have been a thought, but I don't want to do too much shifting with the tank. I was thinking of maybe sliding 2 metal strips under the stand and slide it with a lift strap.

My carpet is thick, and so is the pad beneath it, so the tank has a good imprint as it is. Do you think placing all of the water in buckets (except enough to cover the 5" sand bed) will make it moveable?

Also, would 2 MP10s inches away from each other on the same side defeat the purpose for water movement? (basically redundant?)

I think if you take most of the water out, your plan should work.

I had to move my 75g tank across my basement so I got 2 people, drained the water into a couple 32g brute containers and picked up the tank while one person moved the stand from beneath to the spot I wanted the tank to be at. It was about 400lbs drained so a few people may be needed. For me 2 held the tank until the other moved the stand and came back to help move the tank.

Back
Top Bottom