Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sand releases bad gases if disturbed a lot? The guy at my LFS told me that I would have to sift through the sand when I do water changes. Did he mean all of the sand, or just the top layer?

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

- I just did the move this weekend, so I can't be sure that I didn't have a cycle, but the fish seem fine so far.

- I did save as much of the tank water as possible, even though I've heard it doesn't make much difference since not much of the beneficial bacteria lives in the water, but rather on the rocks, sand, etc. There was the water in the buckets with the fish and also the water I put in the coolers that had the LR in them.

- The sand: If your sand bed is deep enough then yes, it can cause very bad things to happen, which mine was. That's why I bought new sand. I knew I wouldn't be able to get all of the sand out of the tank, so there was some in there, but I couldn't think of a way to safely transport sand and keep it live without risking the Hydrogen Sulfide badness...

Here's another thread with more of the discussion on sand:

Moving my tank

In your case, I think the biggest (possibly the only) thing you have to worry about is your sand. Also, if you can get a hold of them, sawhorses will help you A LOT.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscamaro View Post
Sand releases bad gases if disturbed a lot? The guy at my LFS told me that I would have to sift through the sand when I do water changes. Did he mean all of the sand, or just the top layer?
There's more discussion in the thread I linked in my last post, but messing around with the sand bed yourself is BAD BAD BAD. Some people can get away with stirring just the top layer, but in my opinion it's far safer to have sand-sifting fish like gobies, or snails that live in your sand bed to do it for you. I have a cave goby that loves to dig holes, and Diamond Watchman gobies are great for that too. The bad stuff is down deep in your sand bed (if your sand bed is deep) and the fish/snails will stir it up a little bit at a time, which is OK. If you do it yourself and stir up too much at once, you risk a tank crash, not to mention it can be hard to reach some places if you have LR.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you for that! Before I planned on buying fish I was going to stir it up completely. Now I just have 1 more concern:

I forgot to put in egg-crate before I put in the sand/LR. The tank has been cycling for over 2 weeks and I wanted to get the E-C, and lay it down before I purchase more LR. Will the gasses have built up that bad in only 2 weeks, or will I be safe to put it in now? I plan on getting some gobies and don't want them to dig too far under the rocks and risk a collapse. I have a 4" sand bed, should I even still worry about the E-C?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think you'll have a problem with only 2 weeks. That kind of thing builds up over several weeks. I wish I had taken a picture of mine before I moved, since I could see a profile from outside the tank of the sand, and there was a noticeable difference between the sand that had been stirred and the sand that had been sitting there for over a year.

I assume you want to put eggcrate underneath your sand so that you don't risk a rockslide? With a 4" sand bed you definitely want to take measure to prevent a rockslide, but I've never used eggcrate for it. I always put some smaller pieces into the sand and pushed them down until they hit the bottom, then I would just build my LR on top of those instead of relying on the sand to support the rocks. Maybe eggcrate is more effective, I don't know -- I've never heard of it.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi everyone,
I keep hearing about putting an egg-crate inside the tanks what does one look like that is cable of going into a Saltwater Tanks?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's this stuff

http://www.columbia-elevator.com/acc...vinyl_open.jpg

I found it in the lighting section of my hardware store.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you I am going over to Home Depot at lunch for the Rubbermaid Brute container so I can store my saltwater in and will look for the egg-crate over there....
Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It fits perfectly in a 55gal, I used to have it when I had my freshwater tank. You had no idea it was there unless you looked under the tank. I was moving my rocks around today and every time I moved them, I could hear the rock scraping the bottom of my glass. I am definitely going to invest in some before I add more LR. Also, if you have to cut it, just use pliers to snap off each little 1/2" section; it takes a couple minutes, but it's the most effective way I've found

Tags
fowlr, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com