Moving a New Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr_Doom2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys:

This isn't so much a How-To post but I still have a couple important questions!

I have a 42g tank thats been running for about 2 months or so. I don't have much livestock yet (thankfully!) My plan is to remove the 3 fish and 50lb of live rock and all of the water down to level wiith the sand (about 50lb.) The tank bottom is 30x18. The sand is about 4" deep. I then want to keep the sand submerged and move the tank.

I'm moving about 10 minutes away so it's not a long haul at all.

I have 2 questions...well maybe 3!!

1. Do I need to put a board under the tank so it doesn't flex (twist)

2. Should I re-use most of the water?

3. and finally...Do you think this will work?? :)

I'm about 3 weeks away from moving and just want to get my ducks in a row!! Geez I wish I knew I'd find a house and sell mine so fast...I coulda waited a couple months and been much less stressed!!

My friend moved a 50g last month and he didn't put a board under it. He left the sand in with an inch or two of water. It was just heavy, need two strong guys, but no flexing happened.

Keep some of the water so your fish don't have to be shocked in the moving and then in new water.

It will work. Needless to say all my friends fish died because he overloaded a plug and blew the fuse (the box was in the closed bakery below the apartment) and this all happened at 2am. His hot water heater was electric so all he had was cold water, so his tropical fish basically froze. Tank got there fine though.

re: Tank Move

I wouldn't do it with the sand in. How much extra time are you working to spatula it out, put it in a few plastic bowls and then lay it back in, not much, 10 minutes?
For the rocks & verts pick up some styrofoam boxes at your local fish store, usually glad to give them to you. Put newspaper, about 4 layers thick lining the box(es), throw a couple cups of water to totally wet it on the paper, lay your stuff in and wet paper on top of it all, transport so it does not rock & roll!
I have transported tanks with solid wood underneath the tank but always with towels sandwiched in between the board(s) and the tank, doesn't need to be boards as long as it's a solid base and then the cushion to the tank.
I would reuse all the water if it's in good condition and the tank is not do for
a water change.
Yeah, I bet being only ten minutes away is making it very tempting to try and do it all contained in the tank, but if you feel that lucky maybe it's time for a trip to Vegas!:cool:

You should not need a board. I would get a friend to help though. That much sand and little bit of water will be still slightly heavy. Yes save and reuse the water. It will definitely work. I would not mess with the sand bed. If you disturb it you`ll have a small cycle from the trapped debris and waste.

Make sure you have a few friends to help out for sure. Just in case something happens it's great to have someone there to help you.

If you have enough containers I would put the rock into a container then fill with tank water. Make sure the container is not heavy. I use 5 gallon buckets and ice chests. This way you keep the rocks wet and save water to refill the tank. Leave the sand in and water to cover. At this point test to see how heavy it is. When setting the tank down make sure it's on a flat surface so it won't twist. Have some seasoned salt water at your new place just in case. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom