Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2006, 01:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm using all purpose HD sand right now. Question....

I don't like the larger chunks in the sand and I was thinking of sifting them out with a strainer. If I were to buy two bags of sand it would cost 4 bucks at HD. I don't think I've really had much of an issue with the sand from HD. I know i would lose all the 'live' effect of my sand but I do have about 100 lbs of rock I'm also moving with the tank.

Would it be okay to ditch the sand in the tank and just buy new sand and sift it out?

I've also thought about going bare bottom but I'm not sure thats a good idea. I'd see all the fish poo. Also I have three gobies that love to dig in my sand.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah don't go bare bottom it is so ugly in my opinion, especially if you have sand sifter gobies. I think it would be a good idea to get new sand especially if you had a DSB, just make sure if you had nassurius snails to get them all out of the sand bed HTH.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I've also thought about going bare bottom but I'm not sure thats a good idea. I'd see all the fish poo. Also I have three gobies that love to dig in my sand.
Plus, there is sooo much surface area in the sand for beneficial bacteria and critters, that you would probably need to beef up your filtration some how. Or get a larger sump/refugium.

Quote:
I'm using all purpose HD sand right now
Assume "Old Castle" or equivelant, not Quickrete or other silicate sand?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I think I have decided to throw away the sand and buy some new sand. I can get 80 lbs for 50 bucks at petsmart.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

i would keep a bit of the sand if I were you - Wash it clean in a bucket with some clean saltwater from when you tear down the system. Keep the stuff damp during the move, and put it on the botton of the tank and put the new stuff on top of it. You will be giving that new sand a kick-start on it's bacteria.

Just my 2 cents,
David
Old 06-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

GOT BAIT?
ive moved both of my tanks twice and the only problem i had was nitrates and phosphates when i got the up and running again. maybe , rinse the sand or try moving the tank with the sand in it. the second is a little risky but it should hold if you careful.
my buddy helped my move a 30 gallon with about 40 pounds of sand in it, droped it on one side, and its been running fine for a year now.
just do a few water changes after the move , if you dont rinse, and you should be fine.

Tags
moving, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com