moving a subbstrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stuquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi guys,

i have a 3ft tank that i was going to set up as marine, and i bought a coral, sand for the subsrate. then i hit a few financial hurdles with the marine plans.

so i made the tank a freshwater tank keeping the coral sand substrate.
the fish lived happily in it

i've since bought a marine setup thats got a crushed coral substrate.

i'm upgrading the frshwater tank to a 4ft and i;ve changed the substrate to gravel,

so i have an empty 3 ft tank with a coral sand substrate and nothing to do with it, can i add it to my existing marine crushed coral? or will that mess with the bioload to much and kill everything? or should i just turf the sand and sell the tank? as i have no need for it.

TIA guys

Stuquarium said:
so i have an empty 3 ft tank with a coral sand substrate and nothing to do with it, can i add it to my existing marine crushed coral? or will that mess with the bioload to much and kill everything?
Pesonally I would bake the old sand to steralize it, rinse out the dead debris and replace the CC with the sand completely. You can use the CC to seed the new sand if placed in baseball sized nylon balls. CC is more trouble than it's worth IME.

or should i just turf the sand and sell the tank? as i have no need for it.
If the above's a no-go, this would be the next best option. Adding sand over the CC will not damage anything but the sand will eventually settle to the bottom.

Cheers
Steve

Stuquarium said:
i could just bag it and sell it with that tank.
You could but please be sure you inform the buyer what they're getting.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom