Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you are using cured LR, you dont need to spend the extra money to get live sand. Just get normal sand, the LR will seed the sand in no time and turn it into live sand.

I have never purchased live sand.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you send a link to the one you recommend?

Here's what I found http://www.marinedepot.com/CaribSea_...FISSDS-vi.html

I plan to have a jawfish and maybe gobies, so, i need a small diameter. The tank also comes with a brittle star and some snails that hide under the sand.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A note about sand/LR: I imagine you won't have problems with your beneficial bacteria population if you keep all of your LR. That means you don't have much of a reason to get "live" sand (even if it was actually "live" when you bought it, which is rarely actually the case). Dry sand is much cheaper.

What you might do is buy just a little bit of sand, maybe enough for a 1" sand bed to start off with, and keep all of the sand you already have. If you want a deeper sand bed, then slowly add small quantities of your old sand after rinsing it thoroughly. That's what I'm doing with my old sand, I'll add maybe a half gallon of sand every other week and I haven't had any problems with that.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Honestly just go to your local LFS and grab couple bags of sand. You want about an inch and a half to two inches of sand evenly placed across your aquarium. Make sure you rinse the sand well before putting it into the aquarium. Once you have your sand in, then put a large bowl and pour your water into the bowl to fill up the tank so you dont have the sand cloud up the water.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is the link:
Fish & Aquarium Supplies: Marine Substrates, Sand, Crushed Coral, Live Sand
they have a flat rate of $8.99 for shipping.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a great deal because I need to get some other things.

I'm thinking this would be good for my sand-sifters - Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand
Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I forgot to mention that is just the Standard Rate. I have looked at several others and they all want a higher price for shipping for Heavy Items. I am glad that Dr. F& S has this rate I hope they don't change it.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
everything you need to sustain a reef tank is in your salt mix. the T.D.S. of tap water is made up of things you do not want in your tank. in many cases you can find out exactly what is in your tap water online, and it's quite scary.
Report of contaminants and chemicals found in drinking water in the US | Environmental Working Group
Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Moving a Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
Honestly just go to your local LFS and grab couple bags of sand. You want about an inch and a half to two inches of sand evenly placed across your aquarium. Make sure you rinse the sand well before putting it into the aquarium. Once you have your sand in, then put a large bowl and pour your water into the bowl to fill up the tank so you dont have the sand cloud up the water.
Before buying sand at your Local LFS check the prices and do the math I just saved myself $18.43 by buying my sand at Dr. F&S.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, my LFS is likely more expensive than yours Rush. I appreciate the advice, but on larger purchases, I can usually do a much better job online. I just put in my order of F&S and because of the flat rate special, I saved a bundle. I usually only get small things from the LFS's in my area.

I will be getting some more 5 gal buckets to rinse the sand. Thanks for the explanation on adding the sand.

Tags
moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com