Moving a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, my LFS is likely more expensive than yours Rush. I appreciate the advice, but on larger purchases, I can usually do a much better job online. I just put in my order of F&S and because of the flat rate special, I saved a bundle. I usually only get small things from the LFS's in my area.

I will be getting some more 5 gal buckets to rinse the sand. Thanks for the explanation on adding the sand.

Ya you guys are lucky to get free shipping from foster, aquacave, marinedepot ect

they do not ship for free to canada, plus duty fees at the border. you can save a lot ordering direct from them, but i my case its cheaper for me to just buy here.

everything you need to sustain a reef tank is in your salt mix. the T.D.S. of tap water is made up of things you do not want in your tank. in many cases you can find out exactly what is in your tap water online, and it's quite scary.
Report of contaminants and chemicals found in drinking water in the US | Environmental Working Group

Very informative and scary... luckily where i live (gatineau,quebec- 5 min from ottawa canada) we have high quality water. TDS comes out pretty good with my tap water. But this is a good article and definitely not worth risking tap water at all. I was under the impression there was good things for my aquarium that came from tap water. I was wrong apparently.

Mr x is right I read in a few of my books that the ro/di water gives u a clean slate so that u can add exactly what u want in the tank and nothing u don't.

Do I need to use RO/DI water to rinse the sand? Or can I use tap water then drain from the sand? I don't want to contaminate the sand

I've always used tank water to rinse the sand -- after doing a water change, use that water before you discard it.

Just use tap water to rinse the sand. It wont contaminate it. It will take you way too much RO/DI water to rinse it. Put it in a 5 gallon bucket or so, half full and go to your bathtub. Let the bucket fill up with water and use your hand to move the sand around and get all the crap out. Let the water trickle into it for about 20 min and keep moving the sand around with your hand every 5 min or so. Keep doing that until the water runs clear. Then onto the next batch. IT will take time, but is worth making sure its clean.

it's going to take a lot of water to rinse the sand thoroughly.
here's how i rinsed my sand before adding-
img_1203142_0_2d1bb87b17722b7b89f1c3c221cecee7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom