Moving a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We are looking into buying the house we are living in now, it is taking forever. Wether we buy this house or another, the tank has to get moved. I am thinking out loud here because I don't know when it will happen. when we move the tank, I want to upgrade to a 180 mainly because my Naso has grown a few inches I worry that she has enough room to swim with all that rock in there. (My husband on the other hand says we should go to a 210 because it's stupid to spend all that money on a new tank and only go up 30 gallons...opinions?) (oh and just to put my side in there, i am hesitant to go up 60 whole gallons cuz it's expensive enough with all the additives with the tank I've got 8O )Anyway, what we plan to do is to tranfer everything into the new tank....water, sand, filter, everything as is. I know the fish will probabally be alright, but what about the corals. I also know stiring up all that sand might make for some serouis nitrates. How can we do this without losing everything. BTW, until this project is completed we are buying NO new livestock :wink: . Also, we will have to switch to MH's, so there are plenty of variables IMO for something to go wrong, any opinions and advice would be apprechaited. This is also going to be an in wall, so ideas for heat control will also be apprechiated.

TIA

For heat control you can mount fans to blow across the top of the water and over your sump. This will help control temperature. In addition I would plan for a dehumifiyer to be in your fishroom. I always consitered the inwall installs that had a room directly behind the tank for access to the tank and for all your equipment to be a better setup than just building the wall out enough to stick the tank in. This would also permit the lights to be rigged up on a pully system so you can rase and lower the lights since they will be behind the finished wall in the fishroom area.

As for moving the sand and live stock you would be best served getting a bunch of buckets or 30/40 gal rubbermaid tubs and putting the rocks and corals and fish in these tubs. Then use some buckets to move the sand to the other tank. I would go ahead and mix up at least 1/2 new saltwater and have in the new tank or have ready to add to the new tank sooon after moving the sand. Then you can move the rocks over and then the corals and fish. At that point you can top the new tank off with the old tanks water.

When moving the sand if you encounter black foul smelling pockets dump that sand and dont try to resuse those areas of the sand bed.

I agree. I have moved my 75 gal twice and each time, I re-used everything. I did have sand on hand in case it was foul.

Have a lot of extra containers and be prepared to have stuff in containers overnight if need be, ie. extra heaters, etc.

When you start transfering, the water will be extremely cloudy and you won't be able to see anything. It is hard to add corals and rock when you can't see anything. I left my good corals in a container overnight so the tank could settle a bit.

HTH

Thats a good idea. I do have 2 rubbermaids, one 29g and one 25g and 10 5g buckets. I also have heaters. But both my HOB filters are used for the two QT tanks, and have had copper threw them. Think i will put the fish in those until the tank settles. For the corals, would water movement be an issue overnight?

Ok just been there done that!

Just tore down my 75g and moved it to a 125g.

I used a 31g rubbermaid to put all of my coral into. Any rock big or small with coral went into here. I had 2 powerheads hooked up in there, heater, and I placed my CF that went over my 75g over the container. Within hours my toadstool had opened all the way up and the clown was hosting it. I had enough rock in there for the filtration as well. I also put all my fish in there too. They were in there from a wed night to a Saturday evening without one loss at all. Actually all the coral was open and loving the new digs... :D

I put the remainder of LR into a smaller tank with a heater and PH with most of the shrimp and inverts.

Here is a pic of the coral:
f439757f.jpg

f4397576.jpg

f4397591.jpg

f4397589.jpg

When i was moving the livestock from my new tank back to my home which was 350miles both ways, I used another 31g tub and used a covertor to run a PH and Heater. It was a 400w and did just fine. You could do that as well.

The fish stayed here overnight here and traveled for 5hrs and are fine. Check out the naso in between the rocks.

f433b5ff.jpg

Here is a link to my tank move: http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=51031&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Hope this helps.......PS. All are doing well and growing.

Sweet, thanks Rev. Hey i am Steve-s and Quarryshark fan too. They have both helped me out and helped me save fish or corals :wink: ! I haven't checked out the link but I'll do so after this post. That clear rubbermaid is the same one I have! That would be cool if I can get all my corals into that tub. I have retro-kit lights though, don't know how that would work...

Oh wow, I didn't realize you bought JamesR's tank. Now I remember you were interested in getting a new tank but I completely forgot he was selling his! How cool that it went to you, and it looks great! So you didn't have any cycle time or anything like that? Wow, that is just really cool.

No cycle time. With his 125lb of LR and my 155lbs it was ready to go!! :lol:

JamesR is an awesome person. Him and his wife. They were so gracious and generous. Wish they lived closer..... :roll:

Back
Top Bottom