Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
Moving a tank 600+ miles

I have a while to go, but im planning now. Moving from Arkansas to the panhandle of Florida. Its roughly a 10 or so hour drive.

How would you guys move a 75g tank, 100+lbs of LR, coral, and fish that distance?

Keeping in mind this: id probably take down the tank the night before we left, and it wouldn't get set back up until the day after we got there. So that's three days give or take.

Input?

Old 07-05-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Um, yeah, that sounds like a lot of fun. I just broke down my 75g and placed it all into a new 110g....and after all the garbage I did to the tank I'm surprised anything is still living (didn't lose a single life -- donated two damsels to a 220g FOWLR tank). The biggest hassle is transportation of water -- which you can totally bypass. If you think your corals and fish can survive in baggies or a sealed bin for >36hours I dont think you shouldn't have too much problem. Just allow yourself more time than you're thinking to break everything down... you don't realize how much it took to put together until you try and take it apart .

G'luck in your move!

Old 07-05-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks schoeplein. I just moved it 5 miles and it was a hastle, but all went well.. only casualties were two heads on a frogspawn and a toadstool leather.

For that reason Im trying to plan well in advance.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
I helped my friends dad move a 210 gallon tank, talking about a PITA, but that was because the tank was in a basement and it weighed 500lbs. What he did was put each fish in individual bags with water then into a cooler. all liverock went into new Garbage containers where rock with coral on it was submerged with the tank water. Oviously put coral on top, and dont fill it up too much, its really heavy. Same goes with the sand, make sure there is nothing in the tank, or else it may stress and crack when moving. He actually broke it down all day and left at 1 in the morning so the moving truck wouldnt get too hot. He moved from LI, New York to Maryland. He said he lost 2 tangs, but they dont do well moving when in adulthood so he was expecting that, everything else survived. Overall, im glad i helped him because i will be doing the same thing in a year or two. Let us know how it works out when the time comes.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

What parts are you moving to?

pensacola guy here.

If your close, I will be more then happy to help you set it back up down here.

I know having a helping hand makes things go a bit smoother.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fort Walton Beach area Hurlburt Field to be exact.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ximat,

I take it your USAF, I'm at Eglin and would be happy to help out once you got here.
Checkout www.panhandlereefers.com and ask for help there. Its a local site for the Fl panhandle.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There is an informative article on moving your aquarium in the August 2005 edition of Aquarium Fish Magazine. Hope his helps.

Tags
moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com