Moving a Tank tomorrow...any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am picking up the FOWLR 55 gallon fully established system tomorrow. I'm looking for any advice for a moving a tank that I have not already thought of.

Once the system is broken down, it'll be about 1 hour of drive time back to my house.

I have a cooler to transport the fish in. It will have a heater and an aerator running in it.

I have several 5 gallon buckets that I will take as much of the existing water was possible. I will store the LR in the buckets covered with existing tank water.

It has a HOB 3 stage filter that I will keep damp to help the existing bacteria survive.

I will siphon water out for the cooler to store the fish in first so it's not dirty water.

Then I'll put the live rock into buckets and cover with water.

Then I'll capture the fish and put them in the clean cooler water.

I'll scoop the sand and store it in some buckets.

I will have 20 gallons of premixed saltwater for the tank once it's set back up to mix in with the water I keep.

Once the tank is set back up and the parameters are correct I will add the fish.

Anyone got any advice I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

A teaspoon of H2O2 in the fish cooler could help. It dissociates into pure oxygen. Also, fish travel better on empty stomachs.

A more efficient method of introducing pure oxygen is using a cup of H2O2 mixed with a few grams of mushed liver and piping the resultant gas (pure O2) into the cooler through an airhose. Although just a teaspoon directly in the water is fine.

Back
Top Bottom