Moving along!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjsanders757

Aquarium Advice Freak
Started my 30g tank September 1st. I now have lots of Copepods running around. I also added 17 hermits to the tank. They cleared the brown algae off the rocks in a few days. Gonna add 1-2 fish Friday. Gramma maybe an anthias.

Sounds great! Did you add copepods by yourself? Usually it takes six months for them to start appearing. Post some pics when you get the fish I'd love to see them.

No I didn't. I have no idea where the came from I used all dead/base rock. Maybe from the substrate I bought? It's the Tahitian black moon sand.

Hmm that's weird. They most likely came on the live rock. Lucky! I've had my fowlr setup for a few months now and still no copepods. I'd love to have some live food.

Wood82ABN said:
What are copepods? Anyone have a picture?

Google them for a picture.
They are tiny microorganisms good for the tank systems. Also for feeding gobies and dragonnettes

Oh yeah, I used to have these. When I would see them on the glass I would just use the magnetic cleaner to remove them. I have not seen them in a while, since I have added the goby.

Started my 30g tank September 1st. I now have lots of Copepods running around. I also added 17 hermits to the tank. They cleared the brown algae off the rocks in a few days. Gonna add 1-2 fish Friday. Gramma maybe an anthias.

I doubt that your tank is cycled in 3 weeks. If you used only dead rock, it might not have even started to cycle yet. How and what are you testing for and the results. Dont make the big mistake of being in a hurry. Normal cycling takes 6-8 weeks, thats with live rock or a piece of shrimp to start the process.

I used two shrimps One has completly dissolved the is about 3/4 of the way And I have 17 hermits in already for about a week now.

it is still too early to add fish, 6-8 weeks for a cycle, then your clean up crew and then a month month later a fish, maybe another later a second fish. With a 30 you are going to be limited to 3-5 small fish. After your tank is cycled (dont think it is) everything you add puts a strain on your biological system. You must add SLOWLY to allow it to build back up and recover. what are your test results?

I doubt that your tank is cycled in 3 weeks. If you used only dead rock, it might not have even started to cycle yet. How and what are you testing for and the results. Dont make the big mistake of being in a hurry. Normal cycling takes 6-8 weeks, thats with live rock or a piece of shrimp to start the process.

I once finished a cycle in 20 days. I have no ide why it was so quick but it did finish. Sometimes it's just quicker I guess.

Cjsanders757 said:
Trite and trate read zero

Im thinkin without nitrates being present there was no cycle unless your running a fuge if no fugi then i doubt it cycled there nitrates are the end result of cycle

I have a canister filter and hob finnex refugium full of chaetomorpha sand an rock. The brown algae comes within a cycle, which is fore telling the end or near the end of a cycle. I've been through that stage, not to mention I put in sand from my other tank.

Brown algae isn't a reliable way to tell if a cycle has taken place. Algae grows wherever there's light and water. Test for ammonia as well and see what it says. Do you have a Refugium?

Back
Top Bottom