Moving and Adding to the Sand Bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ksnell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will be moving my tank across my city in about a month, and have read quite a few of the moving posts on this forum, so I feel pretty confident with the procedure. However, I think that this might be a good time to add to my sand bed. My current sand bed is only about 2 inches deep, and I've been reading about the benefits of having a deeper bed. Is there anything bad that could happen from adding more sand after I've moved my tank and before I put everything back in? Is having a deeper sand bed really worth it? All the specs of my tank are listed in my info. TIA.

The only thing I can think of that could potentially be bad, is stirring up some of the nasties already in the sandbed. I would have some pre-mixed water ready when you move it to the new location.

IMO, don't use the old sand. You'll have ALOT of detrius floating around if you do. Replace it with a deeper sandbed

This is what worked for me - although on a much larger tank. But I still think it'd work.

Siphon good water from the 20g and prepare it for transport. Get about half of it. With the remaining half, stir up the sand bed and siphon that water along with a lot of the muck. Keep stirring and siphoning. Remove about half the sand and take that along also. Of course this is assuming you've got some new mixed SW ready to go.

When you set up, you can use the 10g of old water, half the sand, new sand, and new water with the rock you have. Of course there'll be a bit of a dust storm for a few hours.

That old sand is good bacteria laden/seeded and I'd hate to see you ditch it all. No new cycle, but still watch your levels before you add the critters back.

After all is settled, do a PWC.

That's my 2 cents.

This is what worked for me - although on a much larger tank. But I still think it'd work.

Siphon good water from the 20g and prepare it for transport. Get about half of it. With the remaining half, stir up the sand bed and siphon that water along with a lot of the muck. Keep stirring and siphoning. Remove about half the sand and take that along also. Of course this is assuming you've got some new mixed SW ready to go.

When you set up, you can use the 10g of old water, half the sand, new sand, and new water with the rock you have. Of course there'll be a bit of a dust storm for a few hours.

That old sand is good bacteria laden/seeded and I'd hate to see you ditch it all. No new cycle, but still watch your levels before you add the critters back.

After all is settled, do a PWC.

Great Idea!

Back
Top Bottom