Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Moving Clownfish. Help!

Okay so a local reefer is selling a pair of black ocellaris clowns for $35! I've been looking for a pair of blacks and at that price you can't beat! I can pick them up this Saturday. The problem is, I have a pair of ocellaris clowns in my display tank. What should I do? Should I just put them together for awhile (probably the worst choice) , sell them to the lfs (won't make even 1/3 the price I paid them for) or the choice I like best transfer them to a 20 gallon? If I do, how do I make it so theres enough bacteria in the tank for them to live well in? Should I just transfer my display tank's water into the 20 gallon and some live rock? Open to all suggestions! I'm really hoping I don't have to mix them or sell these guys.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Man I'm jealous!! One of my clowns jumped ship a few days ago so I went to lfs and they had ONE black clown for $35.. Oh well.. Still glad I got him.. Pretty neat having an orange and black clown together.. Hope someone chimes in as to what you should do though... Do you have any filter media you could transfer to kick start the BB?

Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadair22
Man I'm jealous!! One of my clowns jumped ship a few days ago so I went to lfs and they had ONE black clown for $35.. Oh well.. Still glad I got him.. Pretty neat having an orange and black clown together.. Hope someone chimes in as to what you should do though... Do you have any filter media you could transfer to kick start the BB?
Sorry for the lost clown. Yeah I do have media but it's been dried for a good couple of months so I think they're all dead.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah dried media is no good... Maybe you could try and get some from your lfs.. Hopefully you have another filter for your 20 to put it into?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I do. I'm going to start transferring the water tomorrow. All recommendations are appreciated!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Water isn't important since there is no bb in it.. Media is the key.. Any live rock you could transfer.. Stuff like that
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I'll be adding a good amount of lr. Not sure about sand though cuz I don't want to disturb it.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Move a good amount of water and LR from your other tank and you should be in good shape. Clowns are pretty hardy fish.

Tags
clown, clownfish, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com