moving coral off of rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe&rae

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK, i have a large rock that has some mushrooms growing on it!! i like the rock BUT it is housing a KILLER shrimp i dont know yet whether it is a pistol or mantis but it has eaten a maroon clown and three skunk shrimp!!

i cant add anymore livestock until he is out if the tank!!! there is also a anemone on the rock?? is it possable to remove the corals from the rock and then i can remove it from tank to make sure the problem is solved!!

It`s going to be hard. You can try to take a old credit card and try to get it under the foot of the anenome and pry him off. Be careful and dont damage the foot as it will surely die if you do.

you should be able to peel off the anenome then just dip the rock in fresh watch the shimp jump out

Hey, let us know if the fresh water dip works for you
icon14.gif
Thanx

ok i haven't tried anything yet! i have been looking for options!! i read about someone taking the rock out of the tank and using a syringe t oinject boiling water into all the holes on the rock!! avouding the mushrooms!! i have got the anemone off the rock!!

just dip the whole rock in fresh water for a second the mushrooms will be fine the shrimp should shoot out in a couple seconds

ok i put the rock in freshwater for about 30 sec (until the mushrooms looked funny!! as soon as i did i heard 3 clicks back to back out of the rock and nothing else i never even saw him is there a chance that it killed him?!?!?

now all my mushrooms have a whit cloud around the opening in the middle!? what is this!?!?

Personally... if mushrooms are the only thing on the rock now, I'd sacrifice them and just throw out the whole rock - with the mantis in it. Mushrooms are a dime a dozen and easy to replace.

Hmmm.... lost shrooms or more dead livestock? Good point Kurt.

Try the 2 minutes if you have to or even more. Shrooms may surprise you. Even if they do die, Kurt's point is valid.

Another way I've read to get unwanted inverts out of live rock is to submerge it into extremely salty water (spec grav. over 1.050%) for around an hour and they'll usually jump off the rock.

I certainly have to comment on this one, I also have a snapping (or 2) mantis or something. I believe I got a glimpse and it was very small, about .5" or so long. And my dilema is very similar. The rock I think they are in has some nice corals growing as well on it. One side has a green mushroom that has already dropped twice and is in the process of a third drop. The other side of the rock has a very early stage of either a torch or frogspawn. Too little to tell now, but it is so awesome. I have also recently discovered a single snake polyp that opens up a few hours a day on the same rock.

But I am not down any fish, but I have had a few peppermints disappear... but I do have a few hitch hiker crabs as well. So who knows anymore :)

Mantis Shrimps can be a real terror. They can knock off your thumb when they get to a decent size. They have razor sharp appendages. They can kill fish easy.

Back
Top Bottom