Moving corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boykin

Aquarium Advice Regular
How do you or is there a way to harvest soft corals?( polyps, Fans, ECT.)

Move them from the frag theirs on to some LR you already have. I know and have seen some collector crabs do it and the coral live and keep growing. How can a person do it?

no, I'm asking if there is ant way to move, like harvest.... if you will, soft corals....

Ok I have tons od polyps on a very small rock and if its safe and possible I would like to take(cut/harvest) a few off and put them on another rock and have them start growing there, I also have this other SC and when I got him as a frag he was on a shell like thing. I noticed that he had a spot on him that looked like if it could reach a rock it would attach from that spot. so what we did was took a dremel and cut around him and placed him in a small hole on another rock and like I had thought that spot did attach *hope this is making since*

So I was thinking maybe if there is some SAFE way I can move a few of the polyps to another rock by cutting them off of the first rock and get then to grow on another. Kind of like taking a cutting from a rose bush are starting it growing some where else.

Did any of that make since?

So basically your fragging your coral. Cut them away from the rock they are attached to using a razor. There are a few ways to attach softie frags to a new rock. You could use a tooth pick to pin it to the rock, a rubber band, or super glue gel. If your talking about button polyps or zoos, they are easiest propagated by placing a small rock near the colony and then moving it once they begin to encrust it. You can also break apart the rock they're on. Manually removing and moving them would be tedious, if not close to impossible. That is why polyps, especially zoos, can become a nuissance w/ time if grown on the main rock structure. HTH

I took some sand in a cup , poured some super glue liquid on the sand and made bases to mount small frags makes small ( one inch discs of rock like sand ) . For shrooms let them attach to the disc or hold with a loose band for a few days then super glue the disc to the rock you want . For zoos, polyps lay the disc under the edge of the colony and let them spread to it then cut the connecting parts with a razor .

For more ideas / info visit www.garf.org. There is more information there (than you would ever need or care to have) about propagation of particular animals.

Back
Top Bottom