Moving cross counrty - what to do with fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 fOWLR and I am about to move across the country. I was planning on taking the LR and not the fish. Well my wife named all three fish and now she REALLY does not want to let them go.
What would be the best way to get the fish and rock there? I was thinking of taking the rock in the car and put it in the tank to cycle. Then have a friend here overnight the fish and put them in the QT until the cycle is over.
But when they ship fish, don't they dope them up first? And is that something I would want to do, or could even do?
Any ideas on the move would be great.

Fish = 1 Clown Goby, 1 Dimondback Goby, 1 Watchman Goby
Rock = 50 pounds LR from LR.com
Sand = 50 pounds LS

I've never heard of them doping up fish for shipping. How far is your move? Is it a days travel? A few hours? This could make a difference in the advice you get. I moved fish successfully, doing a four hour drive with just using an air pump and stone in a rubbermaid tub. I used a power inverter plugged into the cig lighter of the car to power the pump. Did the same thing for the rock to keep it aerated and everything made the trip fine.

Wow, long trip. The rock in a tub with a powerhead should be fine. As for the fish, that's a tough call. Since it is just three small fish, I would just move them in a rubbermaid container with an airstone. Then set them up as soon as you can.

Back
Top Bottom