Moving deep sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJ-MIK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm moving this weekend and here is my idea.. Let me know what you think

I have a 1.5 year old deep sand bed in my 150g reef. I'm moving this weekend and planning on moving the deep sand bed into a 40g trough that will be plumbed into the new system. I planned on leaving it seperate for a few weeks with filtration. before letting it go into the new system. Will this hurt anything or should I just pitch it? The sand bed is full of great life that I don't want to lose..

That's why I thought I would run a filter on it for a few weeks before opening it up to the new system. And do water changes on it

You could put the sand in buckets, clean it to where all the black junk is out then use it again. That's what I did and no ammonia spike

But won't I lose all the fauna? My pod and worm population is awesome right now. I just don't want to lose it all.. Is my thought just not an option?

If you rinse the sand in tank water you should be fine. I would take the sand out after you remove the fish siphon it all out move it then set it up. If you are going to have a filter on it I would stir it up once a day and let the filter remove any gunk.

Thank you. That's what I'm hoping to do. I just hate to lose all the fauna population since I have a mandarin and scooter blenny

It's hard getting populations to build up I would keep mine as well. Make sure you test for ammonia just to be sure before you add it just for peace of mind.

Sounds like a plan. Thank you much!! Wanna help move the tank?? :p

Not really looking forward to it.. All glass.. Prolly 300 lbs

Back
Top Bottom