Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Moving everything from the 125 to the 220. what to do about sand?

On sunday I plan to do the big switch. Moving everything from the 125 to the new 220. I have some coral and livestock so I'm trying to make the transition as smooth as possible and I'm trying to avoid any major cycles. I have a plan for pretty much everything but I am unsure of what to do with the sand situation. my 125 has about 100 lbs live sand now but it's over a year old. should i try to keep some of my sand, or ditch it all? keep in mind i'm trying to save as much money as possible (which i know is not always the greatest idea)

1) should I just add some aragonite sand to the new tank and seed it with my existing sand? (maybe a layer of arag on the bottom and a layer of my sand on top)

2) keep my existing sand and add a little more live sand

3) throw all the sand away and buy all new live sand (obviously the most expensive option)

which would most likely have the smallest cycle? which would be best?

launch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would use new aragonite on the bottom, and I would definitely use the old sand on top!

asudavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I`ve always been one of those that say throw out the old sand and start with new. Seed several cups of the old with the new. I`ve also seen many that used the old sand by cleaning it out but I was not going to take a chance.
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote

125 gallon, moving, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com