Moving everything from the 125 to the 220. what to do about sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

launch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On sunday I plan to do the big switch. Moving everything from the 125 to the new 220. I have some coral and livestock so I'm trying to make the transition as smooth as possible and I'm trying to avoid any major cycles. I have a plan for pretty much everything but I am unsure of what to do with the sand situation. my 125 has about 100 lbs live sand now but it's over a year old. should i try to keep some of my sand, or ditch it all? keep in mind i'm trying to save as much money as possible (which i know is not always the greatest idea)

1) should I just add some aragonite sand to the new tank and seed it with my existing sand? (maybe a layer of arag on the bottom and a layer of my sand on top)

2) keep my existing sand and add a little more live sand

3) throw all the sand away and buy all new live sand (obviously the most expensive option)

which would most likely have the smallest cycle? which would be best?

thanks.

I would use new aragonite on the bottom, and I would definitely use the old sand on top!

I`ve always been one of those that say throw out the old sand and start with new. Seed several cups of the old with the new. I`ve also seen many that used the old sand by cleaning it out but I was not going to take a chance.

Back
Top Bottom