Moving from a 125g to 180g Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry about that austindad!
Lets see I have a ca reactor which keeps ca at 460 and alk at 8-9dkh.
Mag I have to adjust every few days to get upto about 1400.
I do water changes every two weeks at 10-15% each. I have been using Instsnt Ocean. But will switch to Brightwell on my next change.
Lighting may or may not play a big role in this corals' growth IMO.
It was never completely under the 175's and it currently is not under the 250 radiums either.
I feed my fish 7 days a week. 4 days at twice a day and 3 days at one feeding per day.
I think thats it.

2 words....

awe some!

If you have already earlier in this post, sorry - pls tell us again. You supplementing calcium or anything else? How often you do water changes and what kinda salt?

New Equipment

Just added a controller to my system. I purchased an Aqua Controller Jr. So far I have to say that it is a real treat. I am not sure why I did not think about this as a vital piece of equipment. My favorite features are the control over the Co2, the alarms, the wave maker, and the moonrise to moonset.
Now mind you I am still not confortable just setting it and forgetting it.
Too much of a control freak for that.
Next on the journey is an ATO system.

Due to work related travels things have been a bit erratic with my tank. I had a big drop in alk and my prized ORA green birds’ nests started to look awful. As a matter of fact all my other birds nest and stylophoras suffered tremendously. I lost two stylos and ORA's purple stylo is still hanging on.
That is what prompted me to buy the ACJR controller. I wanted to make sure that while I was away things were still running, like my Co2 working when it needed to. Since my alk was directly related to the ca reactor and the co2 tank, I felt that I couldn't take another drastic mistake like this while away even for a weekend.

img_1096818_0_0387b2efae6887a977af8e3d82c8d45c.jpg

Don't worry guys the PH is that of the inside of the ca reactor chamber the acjr controls it by turning on if the ph in the chamber rises to 7.7 and it shuts off if the ph drops below 6.5. So far it’s working really well.

One the other things my tank was experiencing on the 6th and 7th month since start up, was red cynobacteria. My local LFS (WWC) indicated that my bulbs were still not due to be changed but I needed more flow. I thought with 4 Koralia's and 2 maxi jets plus the return pump should be enough flow. One of the WWC guys suggested that I remove the koralia's flow caps. WELL WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! The flow became more random covered more area than a direct flow. I also added 6 Mexican turbo snails, 12 blue legged hermits, 12 red legged hermits and 12 narcious snails for sand sifters. NO more red slim, the furry coat of hair algae in the back glass was gone and so was the red cynobacteria. No chemicals were added.
Once things were back in control I decided it was time to add some fish and coral.
I added a mystery wrasse
img_1096818_1_7d326a3e3a4324956fe73bd94fa25549.jpg

I added two sunburst anthias, a poor man’s mystery wrasse and a spotted tail blenny
img_1096818_2_7d2dd604a7159daf2efbf292df2270f2.jpg
What a cutie this guy is.

That's awesome you got rid of the cyano. Your fish look awesome. For a second I actually thought the tail was the head and it was just a blurry pic haha. And I've always loved the colors of anthias. Plus that wrasse looks wonderful. Über jealous of your tank :drool: lol. I hope I can have something as awesome as it someday :).

In keeping up with my weekly testing I noticed that even after my bi-weekly water changes I was still measuring phosphate. I decided that I need something that was going to be more of a permanent fixture to the system. I added NextReef's MR1 media/substrate reactor. I choose this model that handles up to 250g because of not only its availability at LFS but because of its quality construction and the ease of its setup. I had it up and running in less than 15 mins.

img_1096820_0_4dce8f4a497e1e8ef4e95f6bf3e2f5ee.jpg

I also added some new corals mostly sps's and zoe's:
Pink stylo
img_1096820_1_2d1e15a959e4d5586c401b6c0d6ac19c.jpg

Added another red planet after losing the last one to alk drop
img_1096820_2_6784e9117d9b149e8bb730c45c4990ca.jpg

A WWC tri-color acro
img_1096820_3_b5677afbea5ca5226d568394a741df6a.jpg

This millie cam from Craig’s' tank a coral corral in Tampa
img_1096820_4_9dc534a0213aeaf7ef75f21eab8e1c4e.jpg

What a find at WWC A. Hokoesamanis
img_1096820_5_fec40fcff8c66f6c44a8c5c2de80ba07.jpg

Thanks for your compliments! That blenny is a character alright! The anthias are beautiful fish. Getting the ones that will flourish in your tank is what can be a little confusing. Anyone can have a great looking aquarium.
Taking the right steps and being patient is a plus. I'm sure you will have a great looking aquarium in no time!

That's awesome you got rid of the cyano. Your fish look awesome. For a second I actually thought the tail was the head and it was just a blurry pic haha. And I've always loved the colors of anthias. Plus that wrasse looks wonderful. Über jealous of your tank :drool: lol. I hope I can have something as awesome as it someday :).

Yes I have seen some really good growth. Some of the acro's, lps's and zoe's have shown some good growth. Others seem to take longer but still show signs of healthyness. What's funny is that some of the frags are growing in color ranges that I feel are completely different from what I thought they would grow like.
It is the IMO one of the things I love about this hobby.
Surprises all the time.
How is your tank coming along?

Nice! :D Hows the growth of the corals going? Have you seen a definite increase in the size of your colonies?

Not bad. I lost all my corals apart from my Mushrooms in a heat wave when we weren't home for 3 days. But I've got new corals including 3 nice Trachyphyllia's, an orange Fungia and two different kinds of Zoas that have just started reproducing. :)

Very good! Getting back up on that horse as they say! Read an interesting article on Reef Hobbyist Magazine. Ya know that free publication.
Some guy lost his corals due to a crazy tank crash. Interestingly enough he was able to replace his corals from his own stock. How? Well in the past he had given frags to his fellow reef club friends. You know like trading that happens at reef club meetings. In turn his old frags grew into colonies which his friends were able to return the favor by giving him frags back.
Sounds cool!
Not bad. I lost all my corals apart from my Mushrooms in a heat wave when we weren't home for 3 days. But I've got new corals including 3 nice Trachyphyllia's, an orange Fungia and two different kinds of Zoas that have just started reproducing. :)

Wow man, your tank looks incredible as always :) I was watching that new Life series on discovery today and thought about your tank when i saw some of the corals they had on there :)

Hey A1,
"pwcs"?
Does that stand for partial water changes?
If so....
It is not that hard.
I fill up a 35g garbage bin with RO water, mix salt, airate with a mag pump for 24 hrs.
I siphon out the water from the sump, which happens that the middle section is about 33g.
Take the hose attach it to the mag pump in the garbage bin and pump the water into the sump.
Thats it!
Also wondering, in a sw tank, how do you do such big pwcs on such a big tank?

Back
Top Bottom