Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealgijoe
You can do it. U need styros and bags from ur lfs. U have to make sure there is enough air in the bags. So try to trap as much air as possible in the bags. One fish or coral per bag. Are the dis going in the car with u or in a trailer or what if in the car u will b good with the ac on. If in a trailer take ice packs. Rap them in newspaper so they aren't touching the bags directly. The movement from the drive will keep the water moving. The only thing I'm worried about are the sps and Lps. The fish will b fine. If possible get extra bags and a 5 gallon bucket do u can change the water half way through.
IMO this is not good advice. 1750 miles will not work in a bag. They OP will have to stop to rest/eat. Plus stoping to check every few hours will slow them down even more.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose72
The clowns I know will make it, those guys have been to hell and back. I bought the tank from a local guy who had it sitting on the floor with the water level half way down with no lights, filters heaters or flow. Power had been out for a few weeks due to an ice storm so the water was around 60F. And then shortly after I got them I had an outbreak of ick that nearly killed them, I ended up saving them with a freshwater dip. So I know that the clowns can survive some harsh conditions. The other fish are what I worry about.
It sucks possibly returning your stock. With all the work we put into these things. Please consider this, seriously. I would hate to hear you lost your stock. If this was FW, then it would be a different case. Only want the best for the fish.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

IMO this is not good advice. 1750 miles will not work in a bag. They OP will have to stop to rest/eat. Plus stoping to check every few hours will slow them down even more.[/QUOTE]

Ok well then how do fish and coral get from Fiji and the red sea to America. The same way. I worked at a lfs in tn for 4 years. That's the same way wholesales get them and the same way fish stores get them. Mix up extra salt and change the water when u stop to rest and change the salt b4 u leave in the morning. That's only a two day drive.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly, I don't agree with how most lfs do it. But they are experienced with shipping... In a way. If you worked at and lfs, answer this, Why do you think LFS have a 20-30 DOA rate? Oh, dont forget they overnight these fish. OP can do as he chooses, but I've seen this go bad more times than good.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is simple, just get the tank bus they built on Tanked!
Yeah, as if that thing can actually drive any distance.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #26

The store I worked in we actually went to our wholesaler in Atlanta every Thursday and hand picked fish and coral. We never had a high doa rate. Even when we ordered
Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Livestock can not be guaranteed with and form of shipping. It is very stressful. Ive worked at local fish stores most of my younger years and always we have DOA's and thats with overnight shipping. Yes the majority do fine with overnight shipping, but when you start adding days the DOA rate skyrockets. 2-3 days in an unstable temp, while crossing the rockies in a car and stopping for sleep, food, gas, etc. with no DOA's = not likely in my opinion. There is a reason no supplier will guarantee live arrival with anything other than overnight delivery.

I would figure out how your going to keep the temp constant. Without any big swings. Bags out of the question in my opinion, not enough water or air for 2-3 days, in summer heat and a car.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think the temp will stay pretty consistent in the car with A/C, but I will definitely be monitoring it. And I'll bring them into the hotel at night, so with the styrofoam boxes I should be able to maintain the temp pretty well. I was thinking about using a power inverter to run a small pump to give them some flow too.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #29
Fish R friends, not food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur View Post
If you read earlier in the thread, OP said there is no lfs on the other end to receive.
Wouldn't have to be an LFS on the other end, just someone to accept and care for them until he got there. Either way, I dont think this is a good idea either. I wouldn't try it.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #30

The only thing about the styros are they leak when it's just water in it

Tags
moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com