Moving home 20G to 80G upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markodeniro

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all I am moving home in a few weeks and upgrading my 20G reef to a huge 80G with sump. What is the best way that you would suggest moving all of this and setting it up? I'm thinking of using the water I have to fill part of it to save money and help mature the tank and fill a small tank with all corals and fish in it until the big one goes through the cycle. Any other suggestions or ideas much appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Don't use the old water. There is little to no beneficial bacteria in it. You will only be bringing over the nitrates and phosphates. Cost saving in such a manner isn't helpful.
Same can be said with the sandbed. Old sandbeds bring in uneaten food and poop that then gets brought out and causes issues. This is always something people regret.

Ok so plan would be to set up a small tank with fresh salt water and use new water and sand for the big tank?

Why set up the small tank unless the larger tank is going in the same place the existing tank is in? For the temp tank, just use what you have to move it over while you are getting the new tank set up and settled.

Since you still need to cycle the 80G, you can set up your 20G after moving with everything except the substrate to avoid issues like ammonia due to die off. You can leave the 20 without substrate but with LR while still cycling the 80G. Using old water is to prevent shock to fish.

Ok so new tank start from scratch and basically move the 20G to new place with old water and remove sand until big tank cycles?

I will not say 80G starts from scratch if you move all LR to new tank. But it is wise to set up new tank with enough new LR and substrate to cycle then add old LR when ready to move live stock.

Hey all thought I'd update with my move and build. Currently had the 80G set up for a month cycled and now have all of my fish and rock plus another 5kg I bought. Question is can I add some more live rock straight away without harming the inhabitants? I have 1 yellow tang 2 clowns and a mandarin a couple of snails and a hermit. I need the rock to build higher as I obviously didn't have enough rock from my old tank to fill the new!

Also picture of the sump below have I got enough cheato to start propagating? I was sold a rubbish "handful" from eBay! ?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430724456.795659.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430724488.714556.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430724513.132468.jpg

Back
Top Bottom