Moving. How can I save my Live Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeW

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had planned on moving so I only have 3 damsels ($3 each) and a snail ($1.50) but I have 58 pounds of Live Rock that I want to salvage. What I would like to do is this: Put it all in a rubbermaid tub and put enough water in it to cover all the rock. Store it in storage for up to 2 months, move it (St. Louis to Jacksonville, FL) and set it up soon after I move in to the new house. Will it keep? I know I would have to cycle the tank after the move but I don't want to screw up the live rock if I can help it. Thanks.

I am not a pro but I have been storing my live rock for a while waiting on a new tank. You will need a power head in there to keep the water moving, as well as a heather to keep the temp some what stable. You do not want to store it in any place that it will get super hot. Once again I am no pro, so anyone is welcome to correct any mistake.

shark man is corect all you need is water movement and stable temp and you should be fine

Just make sure you keep in uncovered as well as water movement and constant temp. Also I would still test for ph/sg each week and adjust as necessary to maintain those levels ie: buffer/water top off. Without a nh3 source all the bacteria will die off so if wanting to keep that as well I’d feed a small amount every 3-4 days.

Also, and I don't know of another human who recommends this but do you have a friend or a LFS who'll keep it safe for you? I mean, versus storage where the temp vaires a lot unless it's climate controlled.. something to think about.

Gonna need an ammonia source from time to time. Fish food, shrimp (not too much though). Enuf to keep the ammonia consuming bacteria that makes the live rock "live" fed.

Back
Top Bottom