Moving large tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedukeman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 125 gal. saltwater aquarium which was up and running w/ a small amount of live sand and a few fish that are around three years old. I had to move the tank an hour and a half away. I have the fish, rocks and other living sea creatures in a garbage can with a heater until I can get the tank filled back up.... How long will they survive without the filter? and how should i go about filling the tank? I have had small saltwater tanks before but this is my first large one
Thanks

Put some Lr in the can along with a heater and ph and they will be fine. Save as much water as you can in other trash cans. Replace what you lost with some you pre mixed ahead of time. Try not to disturb the sand.

(the sand was very disturbed in the transport)

Thank you for the reply, I put the heater in last night and then a powerhead this morning. They seem to be fine. (for now)
(THE SAND)
I left about in in or so in the bottom of the tank when moving. when I got it set back up at my home I put about 15 gallon of the saved water back in the tank. Now there is a black film across the top of the sand and I'm not sure if I should remove it and start over or leave it and fill the tank?

Hi, Welcome to AA! :BIG: If you leave teh fish in the garbage can for any period of time, make sure you keep an eye on your amonia levels. With no biological filtration it can sneak up on you. Good Luck...Lando

If its not that much sand and its 3 years old I would just start over so you have no problems. The LR is the biggest part of the filtration so make sure you keep that alive.
Make sure you mix water out of the tank and bring the new tank up to temp before you add the fish. And when you add the fish acclimate them just don't dump them in.
You may need to do a water change in the can to keep things in check till you get the tank set up.

Back
Top Bottom