Moving live rock - re-scaping tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

good11s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a couple of questions; possibly dumb ones, but heck why not...

I am thinking about re-scaping my tank. Meaning moving the LR around into a different configuration.

Can I do that? Can you move your LR around? Should you?

I wanted to get more of the LR off of the LS and center it abit more.

Also, I was considering adding 10-20lb of GARF Grunge.

Opinions? Should I add GARF Grunge? Would there be a benefit?

Keeping in mind my livestock; how is it best to move the LR and add GARF?

Pull the LR out and place in totes with SW? How do I get my inverts and crabs off the Rock? My emerald crab and shrimps are going to go ape sh*t.

How do I move my rocks with SPS or my bubble coral, or my feather duster?

What are the risks? Is it worth it?

HELP!

Thanks in advance.

Good11s

I have attached a picture of my tank's current configuration, and my info spells out my livestock situation; barring some of the stock loss I have had in the past....

Attachments

• dscn1567_108.jpg
    dscn1567_108.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 439
I have rescaped my tank a few times. It is fine to rescape with rock in the tank, however try not to stir the sandbed much. If you really stir up a sandbed the results can be devestating. Dont let that scare you, I was just noting it.

Why did you consider that garf stuff? You are cycled as I see fish right?

That Garf grunge stuff is worthless in my personal opinion. Patience is all you need and it is free.

Avoid the Garf Grunge. I made the mistake of adding some to my tank and it made a big mess of things. The formerly white sand substrate was covered with small rocks and broken shells. I eventually removed it and my tank looks much better without it. If you want to encourage coraline growth try some Purple-Up instead.

I agree, I have moved my rock around, from time to time. I always forget about my poor urchins, but they have made it through every time. I wouldn't stir up the sand bed or at least keep it to a minimum. If you have concerns, you could probably put some of your inverts (if you can catch them) in some of your main's water, in a bucket, for a little while, until you are finished moving. I can't help you on the corals, as I have no real experience.

I'd also make and have ready about 20g or more of new SW to do a water change.

I'd remove the water from the main far enuf down to keep the rocks covered. That water you removed could be in a new tupperware container (hopefully, large enuf to hold that water and rocks - 20-30g maybe) you put to the side while you 'scape with the others. As far as the shrimps go, you can put them in the same tub IMO. As you remove rock, the shrimp WILL let go and drop of into the tank. Remove what crabs you can, otherwise, they'll stay on the rock and return with the rock, no big deal IMO.

Depends on the extent of you re-'scaping as to how many empty tubs, buckets, or otherwise vessels you'll need. But have new water ready to go. I also wouldn't worry about the corals. Just put them in the vessel of your choosing in the main water you removed.

Also, I'd say if you're gonna work for an extended time - say 1/2 hour or more (just my opinion here) I'd air an airstone or a powerhead to the vessel(s) to keep oxygen up.

One other thing - if you ever think you want sand burrowing critters (gobies, pistol shrimp),
make sure the rock you re'scape is pushed down into the sand onto the bottom of the tank to keep those critters from toppling the rock when they dig.

On a 72g tank, I'd try to remove about 15g or so for my holding vessels. As I replace'd the inhabitants, I'd replace the 15g removed with new water. Then, you've just done a 20% water change. Anyway, that's what I'd do.

I would think garf grunge would be a good starter for a refugium but not needed for a display. Not saying it is not beneficial but would not look very good mixed with a fine sand. Some might like it though :)

Some other places sell seeded rubble and such as well.

Back
Top Bottom