Moving my 120 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rush

Aquarium Advice Freak
So this is not the first time I move a tank but it is the first time I move a 120 gallon full of fish, corals, inverts, CUC and LR. I am moving April 1st and I am starting to plan my tank take down process and set up. I am moving a 15 minute drive from where I currently live. I want to make sure I am covering all angles to the best of my ability and with the least amount of stress for the fish and other inhabitants.

So I normally tell people to only keep 75% of the water when doing a tank transfer or buying someone else tank but since I know my water is fine I am hoping to keep most of it (90%). This is my plan so far:

Go to Wal-Mart and buy about 15 rubber mead containers (the ones used for storage). I plan on using my mag 3 to pump the water from my tank into the containers. I was going to divide my live rock equally into 5 of the containers so it would not be too heavy (I have roughly 160 lbs of LR). So with water and LR in each container should weight no more then 70-80lbs. That takes care of the live rock.

Next; for the fish I was actually going to separate them by specie per container. I should have about 10 left after the LR. 5 of them going to be used for fish and the other 5 for corals and inverts. 4 clowns in one, 4 cardinals in another, the tangs in another, gramma and anthia in the 4th and the wrasses in the last one. I have enough maxi jets and PH for all the containers with fish and corals.

Next; for the corals. This is the tricky part as some are reef glued or attached to some of the LR. So I have to place them to they don't tumble or roll in the containers. I have not figured out how yet.

Once I have all the LR, fish and corals and inverts out. I will separate the remaining water in all 15 containers until the tank is almost empty, leaving 1 inch of water for the sand bed and anything still remaining in the bed such as nassarius snails and sand sifters.
This will also allow us to move the tank without disturbing the sand bed.

Once we get to the new place I will remove the one inch of water since it will be pretty gross and full of contaminants from the sand. I will then add some water to about the 25% mark of the tank and start setting up my LR.

Now I need some cool suggestions for a LR wall. Not sure what I want to do with it yet. The tank is 60 x 24 x 18. Once the LR is in place I will fill the tank up to about 60%. Start adding my corals that are on LR and then the rest. Once all corals are in place with proper set up of the power heads I will start adding the fish. Hopefully this will all go smooth with no losses.

Since I am keeping the same water, I do not believe I will have to cycle anything again. Is there anything I a missing?

Should I be dosing the water with fish only with some sort of ammonia remover for such a short move?

Please chime in guys, thanks.

Since I am keeping the same water, I do not believe I will have to cycle anything again.

The water does not make any difference. The nitrifying bacteria resides on surfaces and not in the water. As long as you keep your LR submerged and keep the nitrifying bacteria alive then it should not cycle again. Maybe a small spike but keep some new SW available.

Yeah, but you need to keep the LR and all the inhabitants in water anyhow. The biggest issue is going to be keeping that at a good temp I think. Good luck with the keeping just a little bit of water and not disturbing the sand though!!!!

Back
Top Bottom